Step on a beach in Waikiki after midnight and you'll receive a criminal citation

I’ve always assumed that the HHGTTG passage about the tourist planet where it is vitally important to get a receipt every time you go to the loo was about Hawai‘i.

However, they do run special beach buses where none of the usual rules apply. Wet, sandy asses, food and drink, surfboards, whatevers.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you. But since politicians only care about money (or they don’t get elected), I’m making it clear I’ll hit 'em where it hurts the most. It’s everyone’s beach, homeless or otherwise, Hawaii, Florida or Virginia. I have zero doubt that if they could get away with harassing the homeless with these citations and leaving tourists be, they’d do it in a New York minute. This is class warfare plain and simple…plutocrats fining the poor, locking up the homeless (on the middle-class dime) and ladening the unfortunate and the disabled with criminal records they have no resources to fight in our Pay-for-“Justice” system.

But since these politicians will never behave altruistically towards the less fortunate, they need to be informed that they’re shooting their biggest industry in the foot and they and their middle-class constituents will lose revenue if they don’t cut the crap.

Edit to add: I can’t vote in Hawaii’s elections, but I can sure vote with my wallet.

5 Likes

In Waikiki, you can watch the nightly Parade of the Prostitutes walking the streets in their absurd fetish shoes.

1 Like

I mean, you do realize that going on the bus wet is kind of a jackass move right and you are actually part of the problem? I mean for goodness sakes, is it that hard to bring a towel with you?

(I lived in Hawaii for two years)

4 Likes

Well, this is Waikiki, which is just a very small part of Hawaii. Travel up the coast to Waimanalo and you has beaches just as nice which you can often have to yourself. Waikiki is a terrible, terrible tourist hell anyway.

6 Likes

Seems to me that if they don’t want people camping on the beach, they need to have a law that’s about, you know, camping on the beach.

4 Likes

If I had tried to sit down while wet, leaving salty water and possibly some sand on the hard foam seat surface? Sure, dick move. And the driver would have been well in his rights to tell us we needed to stay standing and hang on to the wrist straps on his nearly empty bus. But to not let us even get on the bus, giving us a full hour to stand in the sun and dry off, that seemed excessive.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good thing to me.

1 Like

They have that law on Maui. The exception is that you can be there all night if you’re fishing. So, you see tons of locals barbecuing and playing music and generally having a good time, with a pole stuck conspicuously in the sand and (probably) a sinker and no hook 20 yards out.

Well played, locals. Well played.

5 Likes

If you’re in the intertidal zone, you’re on state property which presumably makes a local ordinance unenforceable. It’s likely that local police either won’t be able to comprehend that or won’t care. And then there’s the whole question of how it is you got to the intertidal zone, if not by crossing the local beach where the ordinance applies. I suppose you could say you walked down to the water’s edge before midnight and had to stay there, since walking back up the beach is a criminal offense.

3 Likes

Waikiki is cheap and vibrant. You get what you pay for.

It is dangerous to be on the beach at night now. The police have not been outfitted with night vision goggles yet. As oon as they are equipped, you will be safe.

I would eat my own head with drawn butter.

3 Likes

Why be glum? I think this is an opportunity. I just took out this ad in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser lonely hearts page:

I like Italian food by candlelight, long moonlit walks on the beach, and running from the police. If you like romance and can sprint on soft sand, I’d love to meet you. Box 65535

7 Likes

I dunno long pig goes better with a bit of acid. You know to cut all that fat.

3 Likes

Yeah, I call that kind of cooler weather a big plus.

A similar thing applies to people camping by rivers in England.

Yes, and English Property Laws are archaic & very effective in undermining Engl Economy while pandering to every desire of the super rich. The Crown Estate owns the sea shores.

The Thames is mostly private property not to be navigated by mere mortals. I didn’t realise that the Founding Fathers went tI all that trouble just to recreate UK property rights.

Sorry, you are flat-out wrong about the Thames.

There is a right of navigation on the entire Thames. Upstream of Teddington Lock (ie on the non-tidal Thames) the Navigation Authority is the Environment Agency so boats require an EA license. Downstream, it is legally considered to be part of the sea- the Navigation Authority is the Port of London, and you don’t need a license.

Source: I am a “mere mortal” who has “navigated” on the Thames both tidal and non-tidal.

3 Likes

No I am not. If you have navigated the Thames you will have seen the signs warning you not to enter the private sections of the river (of which there are many) navigating around a number of river islands (of which there are even more) and on certain large side arms of the river constitute trespassing, which is an offence in the UK (although, unlike in the US, not a shootable one).

The lack of access to river banks and rivers is a huge issue in England (Scotland is different) and there are attempts to resolve it along the lines of Rambeling Legislation.

Finally, show me another European country which restricts access to free flowing bits of water via trespassing laws, to the extent England does.

EDIT (corrected spelling because writing on a phone is treacherous)

2 Likes