Hawaiian tourists arrested for bribing officials to bypass quarantine rule

Originally published at: Hawaiian tourists arrested for bribing officials to bypass quarantine rule | Boing Boing

7 Likes

grumpy-cat-good

17 Likes

Arrested for attempted bribery. The officials clearly weren’t having any of it.

9 Likes

Yeah, the margin for screwing around like this is razor thin, especially in a tourist-dependent and eco-conscious place like Hawaii. These two should have spent their 10-day quarantine in the Honolulu slammer after trying to pull a stunt like this, followed by having their butts booted out of the state for ten years.

14 Likes

LOL. Womp womp.

6 Likes

“The investigation is ongoing.”

Well I hope they learned their lesson. As punishment they should be sent to Texas.

8 Likes

What did Texans do to deserve that? Aren’t they already suffering enough?

10 Likes

@gracchus
These two should have spent their 10-day quarantine in the Honolulu slammer after trying to pull a stunt like this, followed by having their butts booted out of the state for ten years.

They were probably offered that option, as opposed to not leaving the airport, and take the next flight out back to the mainland, and back home. They opted to fly home instead.

(I think that was fair to their potential cellmates, as they don’t want to catch COVID either.)

@DukeTrout
What did Texans do to deserve that? Aren’t they already suffering enough?

You’re right. Texas was an innocent bystander if IAH, DFW, or other Texas based layover point were used for these “passengers” and likely had no input into their antics (short of behavior that would have gotten them booted before boarding, or during the flights). I am sure the affected airlines aren’t done with them yet (if the airline had to foot the bill on their return flight changes.)

3 Likes

We do have officials here who would have taken the money. (I think they’re mainly concentrated in the state agencies that enforce building restrictions.) However, the screeners at the airport are dedicated professionals.

2 Likes

So, no charges for knowingly trying to skirt health mandates and endangering the lives of others?

6 Likes

Before sending them off, did the offcials slip some cursed lava rocks into the luggage?

5 Likes

A crime in an airport. Could that be considered a federal offense?

4 Likes

Or better yet…

bradybunchtiki

7 Likes

It certainly didn’t help that they tried to offer one price for one person then immediately tried to halve the price for the second person - “Um that’s not how these bribery negotiations will be going ma’am”

2 Likes

Haole a-holes.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.