Step on a beach in Waikiki after midnight and you'll receive a criminal citation

The other neat thing in the UK is the continued existence of numerous and long continuous stretches of public access “tow-paths” along many of the rivers and canals throughout the UK. These often carry over from the days when the rivers and canals were major commerical routes using horse-drawn barges. These tow-paths provide tremendous public access for walking, jogging and casual cycling. I really enjoyed these when I lived in the UK. A long walk along the river to lunch at a centuries-old public house by an equally old and charming lock is a great day out. They are just fantastic pieces of public infrastructure.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but the boingboing blurb does not mention that this law is primarily aimed at the homeless. Which is just cruel and idiotic. Instead of actually addressing the problem and helping the homeless let’s punish them just for being present in beautiful, touristy Hawaii. So much for social responsibility.

I think you meant to say California, which has a history of calling beaches private. NJ has 23 million people who live within an hour if the beach and always seem to forget they brought any trash. Therefore we need to pay people to pick up after them.

As others have pointed out, social inequity is widespread, and the enforcement of inequity is cruel and hypocritical.

Here is Minneapolis, we have a back-and-forth love-hate relationship between:

• Providing public amenities (because shoppers and other “nice” people use them)

• Withdrawing public amenities (because the homeless and the indolent use them)

The IDS tower (which is not “public” – it’s a private commercial building – but “public” in the sense that the public goes there to shop and work) had this problem.

First it had public seating, so old people (for example) could sit down and rest their feet after shopping at Dayton’s and having coffee and crullers at some bistro.

Then it turned out that poor homeless people, and young people out of school, also enjoyed sitting down to rest their feet.

The seating went away. Sore-footed shoppers found no place to sit and rest.

That went on for a while, but in time the pendulum swung the other way, seating returned. Maybe accompanied by more rent-a-cops, I’m not sure.

Similar dynamics played out on the adjacent Nicollet Mall, which is a proper public space.

Enjoy.

Except for a few beaches that were sold before California was a state, all beaches in California are public and must have public access. The California Coastal Commission has prevented new housing from being built on California beaches since the 70s.

Hawaii is the same way. In fact, even the beaches on Lanai, the island owned by Larry Ellison, are public.

Gandhi would be arrested for collecting sea water to make salt at the wrong time of day.

1 Like

That is sad. Sex on the beach around midnight is awesome. Though technically I was in Mexico, where it was also not allowed per se - but I am not sure if illegal.

1 Like

Now there is a coffee table photo book.

How the Brits lost India.

And how many people before you do you think he’s probably told to stand, not sit, and then promptly sat down as soon as the bus pulled away from the stop?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.