Stephen Colbert's get well message to Sarah Palin

Fun fact - wore my Trogdor shirt.

Funner fact - mechanic recognized and commented on it.

#homestarrunnerwillneverdie

10 Likes

Oh dear, I sincerely hope the rock was not harmed.

9 Likes

If her rambling incoherence were the result of the head injury I’d say those outlets had a point, but I think we’d really only know damage had been done if she suddenly started to make sense.

11 Likes

I’ll add to the list - John Oliver.

20 Likes

And Samantha Bee.

27 Likes

Definitely. She’s awesome.

4 Likes

" Stream of unconsciousness "

8 Likes

It is kind of sad that any sort of meaningful news has to be satire in order to be digested buy some.

4 Likes

Palin’s words have so much entropy she’s brought us a trillion years closer to the heat-death of the universe.

8 Likes

I don’t think that’s the issue. The issue is that there is so little actual journalism relative to say, one generation back or so. Meaningful news doesn’t have to be in the form of satire, it just happens to be that Bee, Oliver, Colbert, Wilmore, etc… are actually doing it.

8 Likes

I think it is out there. I also think is probably isn’t too much smaller, but it gets drowned out by the worthless 24 news cycle crap. Note with Oliver and Co, their pieces are usually spring boarded by real journalism. They just bring it to light.

4 Likes

yeah I forgot a few. I don’t watch TV that much (if ever) so I’m out of most of it.

Until the unblackening.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is a lot out there in the traditional sense - newspapers and news rooms in general have been decimated.

1 Like

Why don’t we let John Oliver tell that story?

TL;DR:
They do use smaller, often under appreciated, journalism. And I don’t think you would say those outlets are decimated (reduced by 10%) but rather something like gutted?

9 Likes

And the reason I think you see only the comedians taking on the important news is because the important stuff is often boring.

The real news has no way to turn a boring story into a interesting one, they have to (keep up a facade of) presenting it impartially. And they also need the viewers, so they cannot run boring stories or they risk not only losing income but also simply having nobody watching them and becoming irrelevant.

So the real lesson may be that activists for certain interests have to make their side of the story as entertaining as possible to get good coverage.

2 Likes

I’d listen to the ending monologue of that as a bluegrass song.

1 Like

5 Likes

I blame AM talk radio. Sort of kidding - sort of not.
“The liberal media” as a phrase became immediately treated as if it was real. Investigative journalism was/is sneered at and 24 hour news outlets break away from real stories to tell people about Justin Bieber getting arrested.
It’s fucking embarrassing how ignorant the average American is about current events.

5 Likes

I’ve thought about that a bit, and I am wondering if the fact that it is satirical gives these shows the license to make comments that would attract legal action otherwise.

I actually think it’s a device for telling it like it is in a way that conventional journalism can’t match.

2 Likes