Trump mistakes "satirical" news story for reality

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/16/trump-mistakes-satirical-news-story-for-reality.html

10 Likes
23 Likes

In other news, Donnie did something stupid on a day that ends in Y.

Crazy uncle reposting shit is really the best take on him. Literally no ability to discern truth or not. But what else would we expect from the foremost birther in the country.

37 Likes

Why oh why can we not just get our entertainment from avidly watching flies gradually devour a big wet chunk of shit 24/7? Think how much cleaner we’d all feel

17 Likes

Thanks for the Twitter screengrab, @beschizza. I know there’s no way to make a dent in spreading his diseased thoughts, but at least we don’t have to participate in any way.

12 Likes

Yes, fake news for a fake president. Time to flush the swamp. Flush twice to make sure.

11 Likes

“Big T” is himself?

3 Likes

Donnie is trying to throw Susan Collins an anchor as she’s losing and when he doesn’t even need her vote. Ha! One less Republican senator.

Schmadt Donnie!

18 Likes

8 Likes

Was only a matter of time until this internet rabbit hole caved in on itself

4 Likes

I think Trump should boycott Twitter for such biased behavior!

In all seriousness, how the hell did Twitter (a primarily one-way flow of information) replace the press corp? You know god-damn well that it would take a public retraction from Trump to make his Cult of Deplorables realize this didn’t actually happen, and that Twitter isn’t part of QAnon. And you know god-damn well that ain’t ever gonna happen because prez-o-lantern is always right. Then the idiots go check their Twitter feed for updates.

12 Likes

Maybe he was confounding himself with Big Dan T from “O Brother.” I do that sometimes

eta: in this metaphor, the DNC is Clooney and the left is Tim Blake Nelson.

6 Likes

But truly, it doesn’t matter. Trump is speaking only to his base, and they won’t even click that link. They’ll get ever more outraged at how the world is against their righteous cause and turn up and vote. Trump could have used a broken geocities link as his reference, it wouldn’t have mattered. Nobody who cares about his stupidity and hypocrisy is in his audience.

Americans, please please vote. For the good of the world.

21 Likes

Another Babylon Bee story about the outage that should have tipped him off maybe:

16 Likes

I wish I could mistake this reality for satire, really.

11 Likes

One factor is that everyone now expects to get their news for free instead of paying for a newspaper or something. As the saying goes, “you get what you pay for.”

19 Likes

Trumpists now appear divided between uncritical acceptance of the Babylon Bee story and “he KNEW it was satire, OBVIOUSLY” (he did not).

12 Likes

A related saying that we would all do well to keep in mind: “if you’re not paying for the product, then you are the product.” Depressing under any circumstances but especially so when it applies to the POTUS.

12 Likes

trump shocked with disbelief this am…

12 Likes

Other factors are the rise of “infotainment” and the blurring of the lines between opinion and news. Some people want information without the filters of rules, regulations, and standards - so what’s popular on Chirrup and Fruit Bowls is what they get. It can also be found on TV and the radio to a lesser degree, but what’s there reaches a lot of eyes and ears.

In some cases the press fights against this wave (and some journalists just quit rather than drown), but too often they get swept along with the tide - like the WH press corps.

12 Likes