Stephen Fry explains the vast superiority of UK healthcare to America's omnishambles, which Brexiteers hope to import

Good, that wasn’t my intention, as your post was also only tangentially related to my comment.

Which… what… makes it right?

A horrible thing that takes several decades to manifest is still a horrible thing. And this horrible thing further entrenches the poison to our democracy, like a slowly burrowing tick.

Voting it out gets more difficult when fewer people can vote.

Silencing votes doesn’t make people sit down and behave. It builds pressure until something breaks.

I’m failing to see the point you are making. Could you please restate it?

3 Likes

See below (or above):

Yeah. That was what I originally commented about.

And I pointed out that you don’t, in fact, get what you vote for in a democracy.

You only get what you vote for if you vote along with the majority, or the minority when an election is rigged to the minority’s favor.

Our elections have been tampered with and the party in power has no interest in looking into it, or preventing it, as long as it favors them.

How do you vote out corruption when the corrupt count the votes?

You don’t.

3 Likes

As someone currently very, very happy he lives in a country with universal health care, Canada, those in the U.K. should be ready to fight to keep their’s and those in the U.S. should be fighting to get their’s.

For my part I’ve gone from bad blood test to biopsy to diagnosis to figuring out treatment options in a few months and never had to think about anything beyond researching the cancer. Outside of coordinating with my employer, who have been wonderful, I have no financial worries complicating a situation stressful all on it’s own. I can’t imagine being in the U.S., even if I had decent coverage, and having a whole other layer of concerns and paperwork.

4 Likes

Be very glad you don’t have to. We went though hell in 2009 when my youngest daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. And the hell hasn’t ended, nine years later.

ETA An unfavorable medical diagnosis in the US is like winning the reverse lottery. If it doesn’t kill you, it complicates the rest of your life. Unless you’re well insulated by money and privilege.

5 Likes

Whatever. It seems you can’t understand that when democracy is subverted and broken, it stops working.

3 Likes

Actually that’s a point where we are in agreement.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.