Stephen Fry explains what a hateful, terrible thing is the Daily Mail

You must not be aware that Mr. Fry is more popular today than he ever has been, in large part because he is active, vocal, and eloquent in online places, and his arguments and viewpoints seem to resonate highly with young people.

You also must not be aware that Russia’s systemic governmental support of the rape and beatings of minorities is not a faux controversy, but rather quite a real one. Which is odd, since you presumably frequent BoingBoing, which has not infrequently covered Russia’s current civil rights atrocities.

16 Likes

Except that the Daily Mail is, and long has been, racist, sexist, greedy, and does have a real, recorded history of Nazi sympathizing. This is not conjecture or one man’s mere “claim” - this is documented fact.

17 Likes

Yes, I understand. They’re evil, you’re virtuous, and that makes you feel better. Is this also what you think of Daily Mail readers (don’t worry, I’m not one)? This is precisely the pathology that Dan Hannan was describing in his piece.

As a UX designer myself I would like to point out that our industry is thriving.

You should be ashamed to work for such a publication - and you have absolutely no defence for doing so unless you are otherwise unemployable.

MailOnline is a hate rag and a literal danger to society.

4 Likes

What drugs are you on?

7 Likes

Claiming? I think the word you’re looking for is ‘observing’.

11 Likes

Fascinating - we don’t really get a lot of false-equivalency constantly persecuted right wing shills in here. Gonna guess, since this is an article about a particularly rancid piece of the UK media landscape, that they’re not Americans. American right-wingers couldn’t give a rat’s ass about what happens outside their borders unless it involves blowing up brown people.

The fun thing is, I’ve known a fair number of actual angry leftists in various political campaigns. They are, almost to a fault, completely inept at actually effecting political change except when they can make enough noise. They have no allies in the business community, and most moderate leftists just try to move them off to the fringe where they can’t interfere with actually making a change.

The right wing, on the other hand, takes the angriest, least compromising people and makes them a crucial lynchpin of their operation, with corporate support, and bona fides provided to media organizations, so they can get on the morning news shows.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works in the UK as well - the left takes their fringe radicals and makes a nice little playpen for them to go and shout at each other while not getting in the way, whereas the right uses that ‘youthful energy’ to portray the image that they’re just as working-class as the left.

6 Likes

Do I honestly need to start linking you to the documentation?

I’m sorry that reality doesn’t match your prefered narrative, and I’m sorry that you think my adherence to facts makes me a blind zealot who thinks in absolutist, black-and-white terms. I’m also sorry that you make sweeping generalizations about my opinions on other people, namely the readership of the Daily Mail - especially when I offered no such opinions or evidence thereof in the first place.

7 Likes

I always love finding one of these convenient little mile-markers on the point where a person’s arguments completely break down.

13 Likes

I think Stephen Fry has overstepped his position and this attack only serves his own promotion of his own moral position by highlighting his own apparent victimisation.

Yes the daily mail does promote some stories which can be considered or placed in the rhetorical realms of the right wing. The daily mail also historically has highlighted stories that many other papers would refuse to cover due to that political stifling of the popular consensus. Which can be just as destructive.

I

Is it just me, or is this site attracting more and better trolls than… even one month ago? Suddenly it seems like every post is getting Godwinned in some way, and new users are showing up to argue bizarre points of view that seem designed to ignite flame wars. It almost seems like an organized effort and I am getting tired of it.

11 Likes

They are Anonymous? Expect them?

-confused head scratch-

Yet / that we know of.

Those with questionable intellect and political awareness are easily swayed by offers of 1p holidays and free Princess Diana tribute magazines.

When you’re preying on fear and ignorance it’s quite easy to alter someone’s ideology. This has nothing to do with pandering to the wants and needs of the masses, it’s about altering and intensifying them - like all propaganda.

But yes, many Daily Mail readers are bigots. Every country has bigots, including Germany.

1 Like

I just think its ironic that some people sometimes don’t like what they read about so they shoot the messenger.

But, Shooting the messenger down only serves to promote the ignorant and the ignorants followers.

“Yes the daily mail does promote some stories which can be considered or placed in the rhetorical realms of the right wing.”

Where are you people coming from? The DM couldn’t be more right wing if it tried. Which is beside the point anyway.

And what do you mean ‘overstepped his position’? He’s not a policeman. He has no position to overstep.

Victimisation? What the fuck are you on, Jim?

9 Likes

What are you talking about? Who’s shooting the messenger? What valid message is the DM promoting? You do realise that at least 90% of what they print is complete bollocks? They are infamous for this, it shouldn’t be new information to anyone short of the average DM reader.

5 Likes

Daily Mail mindset notwithstanding, what everyone knows about the 1936 Olympics is the picture of Hitler grimacing in annoyance while a black athlete left all the pure Aryans eating his dust.

We would not have had that if those Olympics had been boycotted, and on balance I think we’d have been the poorer for it.

5 Likes

Shooting the messenger is my metaphor for this very thread and ironically what Stephen has tried to do.

Victimisation because 1 his gay 2 his Jewish and 3 the daily mail didn’t agree with him.

Right wing. Well if you want it to be not sure what it means personally. It seems that it’s used as a blanket term to cover everyone who isn’t liberal and politically correct.

Now that’s a fair fucking point.