Stephen Fry explains what a hateful, terrible thing is the Daily Mail

There’s a good reason for that phenomenon. But any way I try to explain it will likely offend conservatives.

Tell me, Jim, why did you decide to register an account to comment on this issue?

What is it about someone standing up for themselves that you find so egregious? If I wrote an article about you being an ignorant shill, would your defence of that accusation be ‘shooting the messenger’? I don’t think that’s a very good comparison (in fact I know it’s not), but hopefully it makes the issue a little clearer for you. The ironic thing is, that you are the one that is shooting the messenger. Mr. Fry’s comments are perfectly factual (something the DM can only dream of), and you are attempting to belittle him as a result.

Right-wing: the opposite to left wing. So yes, conservative and bigoted, like you say.

6 Likes

And even though I addressed it in my previous comment I feel that it requires a response all of its own.

‘Politically correct’ is a term used by bigots to describe not being a bigot. There’s nothing political about not being a dick, it’s ‘Morally correct’ - maybe that’s what you meant?

Incidentally this was the red flag that led me to check your account history. Your agenda is not welcome here. Good day.

8 Likes

I didn’t say bigoted. But it’s something that the so called left and right wingers share.

I signed up because I love a debate and it annoyed me reading the original statement by Stephen which I thought was ignorant and self centred because it subvertly promoted imperialism. Which I’m completely against.

1 Like

Yeah, the fun thing is I get along with a lot of libertarians, because I’m a well-read anarchist, and can debate personal liberty and principles of least authority all day. And then turn around and thump them soundly on corporate governance and the intricacies of regulating public utilities and food safety, and of funding public safety and police.

The big problem is that the Daily Mail isn’t even properly conservative - they’re reactionary, authoritarian, statist, and more than a little fascist. As well as indulging in the kind of middle-school smut that titillates the moralists who buy that thing.

Daily Mail readers are far more like the people who supported Mussolini or Franco - nationalist in sort of a kneejerk way, willing to knuckle under to state authority if ‘the wrong people’ are the target, and otherwise happy to be on the top of their particular social heap, while passing judgement on the scandals of the celebrity of the day, and feeling smug in their place at the top of the natural order of things.

1 Like

You said ‘not politically correct’. Which translates almost directly to bigoted.

And I beg to disagree, you don’t find many liberal bigots. I think you misunderstand the meaning of the term, I suggest you look it up, but I’ll summarise from Wikipedia:

“Someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person’s ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.”

I don’t know many progressive liberals that fit that description. Do you, Jim? Unless of course you’re attempting to play that most fantastic of plays, claiming that being against bigotry is in itself bigotry (which is of course insane).

Ignorant and self centred? Ok I thought you were a shill, but clearly you’re a troll.

6 Likes

God knows, but I know I don’t want any. And I like drugs.

2 Likes

“The big problem is that the Daily Mail isn’t even properly conservative”

Oh I agree! They’re most definitely right-wing, but not strictly ‘conservative’.

It’s a hate rag. Plain and simple. They profit from angry, manipulative lies - it just so happens that there’s a right-wing bias with such an ideology.

2 Likes

Well, I tend to typecast them as assholes, or at least misguided and generally quite racist (Hi Grandma!), and it tends to be a useful indicator, though naturally that’s purely anecdotal evidence.

1 Like

The word that you’re looking for is ignorant.

big·ot

1.intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views

:slight_smile:

Refusing to accept homophobic views isn’t bigotry, and you know it. I even addressed that in my response, because it’s such a common, if not horribly flawed, retort. Being intolerant of intolerance is not bigotry.

7 Likes

No, but as I’ve said before, the article wasn’t about homophobia. It was about how hateful the Mail is, which would have been fine, if it wasn’t for the holier than thou nonsense.

headdesk

3 Likes

What holier than thou nonsense? Example?

A Tory firing invective at the left for accusing Tories of being hateful, while arguing like a grade schooler and bitterly whining that his opponents are immature. All in you attempt to point out hypocrisy, but not in the telegraph article you linked to. Wow.

2 Likes

Well, how about the “hated by the Daily Mail” badge? Why not “hater of the Daily Mail”? Judging by what is written in the article and from many of the comments, that would be more accurate and more honest, though not more cuddly.

I don’t see how that fits the description of ‘holier than thou’. And changing the text to what you suggest would completely miss the point, and alter the message.

The daily mail as a business feeds off of spreading hate and vitriol. Stephen Fry was a victim of the hate. This is not analogous to David Cameron wearing an ‘I hate the Guardian’ badge. You are completely missing the point.

3 Likes

At the time the 1936 Olympics were a huge propaganda boost for the Nazis. Tourists flooded into Germany and saw a highly sanitised view of the country. They saw apparent prosperity, low unemployment, the autobahns, Zeppelins and the beginnings of television. They didn’t see the concentration camps which were up and running, the Juden Frei signs had been removed and political persecution was toned down for the duration of the games. Many of these people returned home thinking that perhaps the Nazis weren’t so bad and could either be actively supported, or at least safely ignored.

7 Likes

“Subvertly”= not a word. (The not-surprising illiteracy of a Daily Mail apologist comes a-bustin’ through.)

1 Like