Steven Pinker's list of the 58 most-abused English words and phrases

[Read the post]

Holy Fuck did I enjoy that one!

Pardon my Frenchā€¦

7 Likes

With all the discussion of the Presidential debates, Iā€™m astounded at how many people who speak for a profession continually use the word podium, when they actually mean lectern. You stand on a podium. You stand behind a lectern.

18 Likes

Pfffff. When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.

20 Likes

Ambivalent. It doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t care ā€“ it means you do care, but are torn between the alternatives.

4 Likes

Iā€™d add ā€œunprepossessingā€.

It sounds like it means humble and unassuming, but it actually means ugly. I almost used it to describe a person I was nominating for an award - glad I looked it up before hitting send. :-0

3 Likes

Itā€™s Steven with a ā€˜Vā€™

2 Likes

Well, irregardless of when all is said and done, I think you should all pissed off and fuck yourselves too, literally. Buncha oxymorons, enough to give me another me grain, correcting me all the thyme when Iā€™m just making commonsense.

15 Likes

The difference between misuse of ā€œbegs the questionā€ and ā€œnonplussedā€ or ā€œbemusedā€ is that the latter misuses carry useful nuance. Thereā€™s no good substitute that conveys ā€œboredly unimpressedā€ or ā€œquietly, patronizingly entertained, as by a small childā€™s antics.ā€ The evolution of those words enriches the common tongue, whereas ā€œbegs the questionā€ simply reduces the meanings available to it. Weā€™ve already got ā€œraises the question,ā€ ā€œasks the question,ā€ ā€œbrings up the issue,ā€ and a host of other perfectly serviceable exact synonyms; we donā€™t have any other phrases for ā€œassuming the unspoken truth of a premise.ā€ So when someone misuses ā€œbegging the question,ā€ theyā€™re outright stealing from our common vocabulary. The fact that itā€™s done out of lazy slackjawed ignorance (if not obnoxious contrarian fartlery) is all the more reason not to surrender. Pick away at prescriptivism all you want, get ā€œlolā€ and assorted emoji into the OED if thatā€™s the kind of shattered civilization you want to leave future generations, but this is where I draw the line.

10 Likes

Pinker appears to be turning into Kingsley Amis.

Perhaps next he will take ā€˜They have a word for itā€™ / ā€˜The Meaning of Tingoā€™ / all those other book-shaped lists of ā€˜useful or mode-up words like Schadenfreudeā€™, and sign his name to that as well.

3 Likes

Something Iā€™ve found increasingly grating here in New Zealand is people using ā€œpremiseā€ when they are taking about premises.

2 Likes

Yeah - sad about Pinker.

Re the street signā€¦

4 Likes

I dunno, this way at least heā€™s not smearing his stupid all over linguistics.

1 Like

Oh, this again.

I thoroughly recommend people go and read The Unfolding of Language, a (mostly) very well written book about how language has evolved.

What surprised me most was how often words and phrases have completely switched their meaning.

6 Likes

Yeah. Thinking just about how the word ambivalent is constructed the definition makes sense.

Ambi-means something like both sides same root for amphibian

Valent means proximal. Like valence.

Just my mnemonic. I recognize I almost certainly have the etymology wrong, since I didnā€™t look it up.

Or maybe itā€™s better broken down as am-bivalence since bivalence would mean proximal to two areas

3 Likes

But then you have to explain the ā€˜amā€™?

1 Like

I am bivalent to the choice

4 Likes

ā€œOTOHā€, he said, ambidextrously ā€¦

6 Likes

It should be clear from my posting here that Iā€™m no wordsmith. I just have tons and tons of mnemonics for the words I know. Even if the mnemonic is wrong, if I construct it knowing the definition already, then it still works.

Like that kid in the Wayside School books who did math completely wrong, but always ended up at the correct answer anyway.