Steve Bannon to headline The New Yorker's festival (UPDATE: disinvited)

“Notebook?”

“Check!”

“Pen?”

“Check!”

“Pistol?”

“Check!”

3 Likes

Needs more coldsores.

4 Likes

This isn’t the New Yorker Thunderdome Festival, is it?

4 Likes

Aww, that makes at least two New Yorkers to decide Bannon wasn’t worth keeping around.

10 Likes

Updated to note that Remnick, after hearing the backlash, has reconsidered his decision and proposes to interview Bannon in a non-festival setting.

11 Likes

Non-festival setting? So… uh, we leave our hats at home?

Does this mean Thunderdome is still an option?

10 Likes

I see it as an only option. How useless is it to debate someone who has no intention of arguing in good faith?

3 Likes

Bannon doesn’t do the dirty work himself. As a Mad Max character he’s less “Master Blaster” than that banker guy from Fury Road. I mean just look at him. They’re basically indistinguishable.

PeopleEater

13 Likes

4 Likes

“Discretion is the better part of valor” - Shakespeare

1 Like

I was implying that he may not KNOW it was going to be Thunderdome. And he’d end up as just one of the nameless people Master Blaster blasted over the years :wink:

2 Likes

There has never been any reason to think Steve Bannon is interesting or smart, and the revelation of a larger-than-expected audience for his bullshit doesn’t change that. It’s like if your house is being devoured by termites, so you sit down for a conversation with the termite queen, because after all, she must have something pretty important to say if so many termites are willing to follow her.

It doesn’t matter if the aim is to rebut Bannon’s “thinking”. The point where you flushed your credibility down the toilet came long before that, when you accepted the premise that millions of idiot scum can’t be wrong. Of course they can. Wisdom is not determined by a popular vote. And yes, that is an elitist view. The correct view is elitist.

2 Likes

On one hand, it’s good that he was disinvited. On the other hand, what the everloving fuck were they thinking in the first place?

12 Likes

Remnick will never admit it (as his disingenuous letter rescinding the appearance indicates) but it was a sensationalist publicity stunt.

6 Likes

That makes sense, of sorts. Apparently they are like Trump in that they can’t discern between good and bad publicity…

2 Likes

Well, they’ve got their publicity.
And a huge brown stain all over their resume that won’t wash out quickly.

1 Like

When you’re running a racist fringe group, there really is no difference between good and bad publicity. The whole concept is to get in front of as many eyes as possible, and gather sympathetic followers - for the people who might become a part of your “movement”, bad publicity really isn’t a problem.

I have no idea why the new yorker thought this was a good idea, but I assume there’s a healthy dose of “not being the people steve bannon would try to kill, imprison, or evict from america”

4 Likes

That’s my feeling as well; they only invited him because they were expecting a backlash, and knew they could immediately rescind the invite once enough attention had been attained.

4 Likes

Just a few days ago it occurred to me that I hadn’t seen or heard about Bannon in quite some time. I wondered how long he would stay under whatever rock he had slithered.

Thanks not thanks, New Yorker. :-\

3 Likes

Before this, he recently tried to schmooze European nationalists and authoritarians; they gave him a ‘hard pass.’

4 Likes