Steve Bannon calls left-wing reporter out of the blue and unloads on alt-right and GOP

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/17/11-dimensional-chess.html

4 Likes

see…see!! he’s not a bad guy after all!! /s

8 Likes

“Glad you could join us Mr Van Winkle!”

11 Likes

The scum of humanity would be a kind remark about Bannon.

4 Likes

So he basically blamed the dog for his own farts huh?

33 Likes

Just like the Mooch. Why do these guys keep calling reporters to vent about this stuff? Do they just not have anyone else to talk to?

26 Likes

Because they know if they make a deliberate statement look like an accident the media will uncritically report it.

Fortunately, some are finally catching on.

32 Likes

I wonder how long before Bannon goes back to his old job at Breitbart.

7 Likes

More like, he know how not to sound like a total bad guy.

Bannon also contradicted Trump on North Korea: “There’s no military solution [to North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.”

Which all the Pentagon heads know too. Which is why any hysteria around this is just that. Not that that excuses Trumps dick waving, but that is all it is.

6 Likes

Jebus, these people are bound and determined to mirror the 1930s, Night of the Long Knives and all.

6 Likes

Has known for decades even without the DPRK having nukes.

Taking a page from Bill Clinton’s playbook maybe. Interpret that how you will.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the Bannon’s play here… Is he trying to set himself up for a post-Trump role? Why give this to a far-left publication? Is this a far-fetched ploy to peel off some of the far-left to support the administration or something?

5 Likes

Are we sure this was Bannon, and that the Prospect reporter didn’t get pranked?

I guess the fact that Bannon hasn’t yet disclaimed this interview (as far as I know) suggests it’s real.

Edit: maybe a case of rats leaving a sinking ship?

4 Likes

The alt-reich are such tools. Bannon first encountered them when he ran a gold-farming operation, seriously. He pissed them off, and they killed his operation. But he saw how they got all worked up and figured he could co-opt them for his own purposes. Just like he paid peanuts to grinders to farm gold for him, he realized he could pay even less - essentially just ego-stroking - to the alt-reich and turn them into political grinders for his own benefit.

Suckers.

15 Likes

I have to imagine post-Trump role is what he’s thinking about. I don’t know what that role will be, but honestly I don’t even know what he wants. Maybe he’s sick of Trump and he just wants to sink him. Maybe he’s trying to position himself as not-awful-enough that a publisher will pick up a book he’s writing. Maybe he was just high on meth at the time.

14 Likes

Two theories -

1. He wants to be fired instead of quitting because being fired gives him cred about how the evil deepstate and ‘globalists’ like his nemesis McMaster have retaken the whitehouse.

2. He wants to keep his job. It was a threat to the incompetent-in-chief, “if you fire me, look how much I can fuck with you.”

12 Likes

That was my first thought, upon reading it.

5 Likes

He must surely be on the ropes if he’s talking like this.

while he was on vacation, Steve Bannon’s assistant tracked him down

Does his audacity know no bounds!? The tipping point will surely come when he dares to try to put a call through to Mar-a-Lago.

Bannon hoped that the Democrats continued to make Republican racism a centerpiece of their pitch: “If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

There sure seemed to be a lot of people talking about the “failure of identity politics” back at the start of the year. On the other hand, “those guys are Nazis” is a darn good selling point.

5 Likes

23 Likes

Pathetic, obvious, untimely damage control to undermine any lawsuits re incitement of hate group violence.

11 Likes