Steve Harvey disproves evolution

You might be confusing doing a shticky joke as a comedian with someone giving their opinion.

2 Likes

I myself excel at the role of small, tailed arboreal primate. But still, is there any good “why are there still” argument? It always comes down to, “why does my cousin exist?”

7 Likes

And if Protestants evolved from Catholics, why are there still Catholics?

(Yes, I know, the IRA was working on that, but that’s kind of a tangent)

21 Likes

You see, that’s where you screw up. Those things are only not good if God hasn’t specifically ordered them.

9 And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods.

10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire.

11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, both of men and of beasts.

12 And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil, unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which are by Jordan near Jericho.

13 And Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and all the princes of the congregation, went forth to meet them without the camp.

14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.

15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.

17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

– Numbers 31:9-18

22 Likes

Steve Harvey - You can’t just tell me this spun out of a gastrous ball.

I find this helps explain things to people who are confused about the gastrous ball:

13 Likes

You are right
 but also true is he chose to appear on TV and he chose to say what he said. He gained the stage due to his comedic strength, and he’s used that stage to propagate weak sauce. With great power comes great responsibility.

13 Likes

Maybe if were dubbed into an English voice

Scrub that, it’d still be bollox.

2 Likes

I made it through almost three minutes of that garbage. Like @frauenfelder I didn’t know much about this “entertainer,” but now I know that I’ll never need to waste time watching anything with which he’s connected. I guess that’s a win?

6 Likes

Well, we’ve slowly been working on the there-are-still-monkeys example, too. :disappointed:

I don’t know about an argument, but I think in some cases it can be a question that’s worth considering. If I can quote myself from a previous time this was discussed:

Anyway, if I ever need to cast a small arboreal mammal, I’ll be sure to call you. Is the world ready for a Planet of the Apes prequel? I hope not.

9 Likes

Funny thing, this evening we had a discussion about evolution with the five year old. And he came with the question “why are there still apes?” (and fish, btw).
Gave me a good laugh now, reading this topic.

13 Likes

Eh - famous entertainers aren’t known to be responsible. In the least. They are known actually for lots of drama and excess.

2 Likes

Getting rid of those religious fanatics when we did is probably one of the reasons we still have a country.

20 Likes

A few unrepresentative bad apples make the press and you want to stereotype all owners of
wait, what thread is this again? :grinning:

8 Likes

If humans evolved from monkeys, why do we still have stupid humans?

Steve Harvey is a stupid misogynistic asshole, but he’s got a really nice wardrobe.

6 Likes

Well, I am not passing laws that we lock them up or restrict them. They could just pay their way out of trouble anyway.

1 Like

I was trying to listen to Harvey stick his foot into his mouth, but the autoplaying ad obscured some of his dialogue

I am inordinately fond of a graphic I put together comparing tarsier and human brain and eyes. I inserted a hirsute selfie as a joke, and it got published.

Alfred L. Rosenberger, at Brooklyn College, CUNY, sent me the interesting photo/scan of a dissected tarsier brain and eye (center). He was looking for a comparable image of human vision hardware. I was working on animations of various brain systems, so I put together this rendering of roughly the same human parts.

International Journal of Primatology, October 2010

From the abstract:
“The gestalt is an adaptation to efficient orthograde head carriage, balanced head-turning movements, and spatial packaging of cranial components, responses to an extreme loading regimen in which the eyes, with a mass approximating twice the bulk of the brain, profoundly eccentrically load the skull. Specializations of the retina and cortex suggest tarsiers have an acutely developed spatial sense, especially adept at detecting and mapping motion. Spanning several anatomical systems, this configuration represents an extreme form of vertical clinging and leaping (XVCL) geared for noiseless, nonpursuit predation, an energy minimizing procurement strategy that may be a trade-off for relying on metabolically expensive, outsized eyeballs, maintained by a highly nutritious, super-specialized, animalivorous food source.”

18 Likes

He’s an even bigger tool and idiot than I had imagined. It’s no wonder he botched the highly complex job of reading a name off a card.

25 Likes

Those of us who know a little about Steve Harvey have long since known that he is somewhat less than charming or intelligent. His inability to carry out his simplistic task in that silly, antiquated show the other day came as no surprise.

This is the man who, after all, called Tavis Smiley and Cornel West Uncle Toms for daring to criticize Obama.

@SheiffFatman, I always think of that passage in particular when I think about Judeo-Christian morality, or about what’s happening in Palestine. Even with the proviso that many people of all religions bring various interpretations to their religions’ chosen text(s) that neutralize or ignore some of the harsher elements, and that I admire a great number of Jews and Christians both alive and dead. One can still have deep-seated textual criticisms, and after all it is only natural to at least blink in the face of slavery, genocide, and mass rape.

I have a theory that one of the reasons that fundamentalist children flee the church in droves once they reach adulthood has to do with the fact that fundies really emphasize studying the Bible. I read it front to back as a kid and was so mortified by what I read that I fled the religion. Not knowing whether or not there was a God, I didn’t want to be on the same side as the one I was reading about.

12 Likes

Exactly.
I’ve been able to get almost every single crazy religious person to stop talking like this when I ask them - “which god is the right one, and how does one know?”
There winds up being a fair amount of back-peddling and the like, but there really is no way to explain why one version of “the word” is more right over the other. Because that leads to me asking “so what you’re saying is that every single person in the world is wrong that doesn’t believe like you?” Most people are afraid to answer in the affirmative in that respect.
At least in baseball we get a World Series so we know who’s best. But then the reset button next spring takes care of that.

7 Likes