Steven King's "It" hurting the clown business

At the risk of sounding uninspired and derivative… I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

8 Likes

Is it… scary? I won’t read it if it’s scary.

1 Like

I blame clowns gone bad…

5 Likes

This is nonsense! Aren’t millennials supposed to be killing clowns?

5 Likes

https://www.juggalomarch.com/editorials#

3 Likes

With regard to the “anyone enjoy clown performances?” thread, if you are not familiar with Clowns Without Borders, and the excellent work they do, please check them out: https://clownswithoutborders.org/

3 Likes

Oh Puddles, in our darkest hour we beseech thee to step up!

Also: more Haley Reinhart please!

3 Likes

Yes I am. I didn’t have cable or a VCR growing up :confused:

The costume and masks were really good. The effects weren’t amazing, but competent. And the dean from Animal House was in it!

Huh, Christopher Titus was in it too…

And huh, looking up John Vernon, there was an Incredible Hulk series in 1996-1997? No idea that was a thing. Then again I didn’t have a TV for several years. eta - oh it was animated.

3 Likes

Also Tim Curry awesomeness.

At the risk of beating this joke to death, Bill Skarsgård has some big shoes to fill.

15 Likes

Look at the building number 8213 behind Gacy! The numbers convert to HBAC, and the anagram of that is Bach… as in Johann Sebastian! Classical music…and Gacy absolutely loved classical music! At least I think he did. Well, I’m guessing, but he probably did like it to some extent. Isn’t that amazing and scary? Clown-scary!

1 Like

Forgot one:

8 Likes
4 Likes

We had cable, but not a VCR.

Agreed, it was his genius that really brought Pennywise to life; the tv movie would have been totally unmemorable were it not for his performance, IMO.

Reaching, you’re doing it right.

3 Likes

Still clown-scary!

1 Like

Popov was nice. And Herman van Veen still is delightful as a clown.

the clown business

That’s like a common byline nowadays…

4 Likes

6 Likes

The typical features of clown makeup are a giant red mouth and nose and big eyes. I think instinctively most mammals associate that with a predator. I have never felt comfortable around clowns and I’ve seen way more kids crying at clowns than laughing at them. I’d go so far as to say that probably only clowns like clowns.

To be fair, the negative associations people have with clowns actually started with… clowns. It’s baked into the archetype, the nature of the face painting and the distortions to features, etc. The earliest proto-clowns in European comedic theater were acknowledged as both comedic and sinister figures, too.

I was going to make a joke about the American Heavy Machinery Association making recommendations that children not be allowed to watch horror movies with deaths by industrial machinery, but then I remembered reading some interviews with horror directors where they mentioned that it was basically already baked into the MPAA rating system. Apparently acts of violence in movies that more resemble industrial accidents are treated more harshly by the MPAA, giving them a more restrictive rating, than identical levels of gore perpetrated by monsters or fanciful serial killers… Maybe the clown industry needs to lobby the MPAA for similar treatment?

2 Likes

I mean, this is like blaming netflix for the demise of blockbuster. The market shifted evil and they didn’t fill the need!

1 Like