Steven Mnuchin's wife makes fun of Instagram followers for not being as rich as she is

A spokesperson for Mnuchin later told reporters the couple reimbursed the government for their travel costs. Funny how that didn’t make it into her instagram rant.

20 Likes

The rant implied that it was not a personal trip. If not then the reimbursement statement wouldn’t apply.

9 Likes

Oh yeah, the D lister who co-wrote and self-published In Congo’s Shadow, with all those white saviour fantasies and pictures of HIV positive children published without their permission. When the The Zambian High Commission in London criticized it she said she would donate the proceeds to charity and then immediately stopped publishing it.

28 Likes

“It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.”

– Adam Smith

38 Likes

It’s not even about whether the average US tax payer ended up paying for the trip; that’s a whole other issue. It’s her needlessly shitty-ass attitude about being wealthy; bragging about it, then feeding into a flame war.

31 Likes

What really gets me isn’t that she feels entitled to this; that’s gross, but unsurprising.

No, what bothers me is that this is further evidence of thin-skinned narcissists populating our highest levels of government (I know that she’s not in any cabinet position, but narcissists almost always marry other narcissists, so that gives us a lot of info about her hubby).

21 Likes

At some point, we must have stopped telling our children that conspicuous consumption is not only distasteful, it’s the sign of a very low brow and morally bankrupt person.

29 Likes

That seems to be true of many folks, sadly; but I actively strive not to be a part of that particular “we.”

15 Likes

Se has no one to blame but herself for all the “self sacrifice.” No one forced her or her husband into that role.

9 Likes

Probably a pretty good mirror of her husband’s attitude.

4 Likes

Most Americans would love to contribute as much in taxes as she does, because that would mean we were very wealthy.

24 Likes

The Boing Boing post is lacking the sentence: “Your kids look very cute. Your life looks cute.

So Linton is fully aware that the woman she is attacking is supporting three kids on (presuambly) her own dime. Linton, on the other hand, is supporting exactly no one and instead lavishes her husband’s and the taxpayer’s money on herself only. Yet feels morally superior.

17 Likes
3 Likes

So much this. Because if her response was something akin to - “You’re right, this does seem on face value pretty abhorrent and I apologize for how it looks. additional statement as to why it is wrong and more apologies” - then at least it would feel slightly apologetic.

Even putting aside the very notion that she feeds the flame war, which in short speaks volumes to her character (or lack-thereof); its the fact in my opinion that she states “You’re adorably out of touch” which is so utterly tone-deaf to our current state of economic divide it is disturbing.

21 Likes

Well, this lady is a stellar example that money buys a lot of things but neither brains nor basic decency …

13 Likes

The entire post reads as though it was written by a spoiled teenager, but then again that’s how most ultra-wealthy people behave so I guess that shouldn’t surprise me.

12 Likes

The purge lists really write themselves these days.

13 Likes

18 Likes

She sure spent a lot of time replying to a tweet that should have been a snarky gif/meme.

7 Likes

0ORPKGR

12 Likes