Steven Mnuchin's wife makes fun of Instagram followers for not being as rich as she is

came for the cake, stayed for the snark.

#not_disappointed

3 Likes

Care for a Klan-Cake?

5 Likes
8 Likes

Isn’t that the new dried dog poop emoji?

1 Like

How appropriate that she should be talking about the terrible sacrifices she’s made on the same day that her husband’s boss committed to sending more troops to Afghanistan …

7 Likes

“I apologize for my post on social media yesterday as well as my response,” she said, according to a publicist. “It was inappropriate and highly insensitive.”

3 Likes

Obligs:

16 Likes

So basically bimbo marries rich guy, within a few weeks enjoys dissing folks who haven’t married a rich sugar daddy…
and you poors problem is? this IS winning! enjoy! we’ll be getting a whole lot more trickle down like this if I know Hair Fuhrer! Full bladders! Full hearts (full of bile and vitriol) full of sh!t…

2 Likes

Toxic attitudes apparently last hundreds of years, maybe thousands.

3 Likes

More awfulness…
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-herald-magazine/20110219/281479272900952
Law is a ‘hobby’ for her.

No, no, no… she is supporting everyone else. /s

I say that in sarcasm but I suspect she actually thinks that way.

All those taxes she selflessly pays.

3 Likes

Very good point. Having those snotty little kids just stop the money trickling down. Cute!
Let’s rebuild America one Hermes scarf at a time.

2 Likes

NPR published a list of the fashion items she was boasting about, and the total cost of the collection was around $16k, with the lion’s share going to the $13,000 handbag.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/22/545318776/treasury-secretarys-wife-apologizes-after-sparking-internet-furor-with-online-po

3 Likes

From the linked article:

"It’s the least glamorous role I have ever played - I usually get cast in blonde girl roles. This one, though, was heavily dramatic. They dyed my hair dark brown and I wasn’t permitted even a lick of Vaseline on my lips - no makeup, none. I had some lip salve on set, hidden in my costume, and would sneak on a little bit before each scene. The make-up artist caught me one day and went ballistic."

Such sacrifices…

10 Likes

Oh yeah, this one is definitely getting knit into the afghan.

2 Likes

To her “sacrifice” is paying taxes. A thing that everyone is required to do, but which the wealthy are most adept at avoiding. The kind of detachment from reality needed to make a person equate paying taxes to “suffering” in the same way that under-employed parents suffer to care for their children, or that young people suffer working three dead-end jobs for the rest of their lives is absolutely breathtaking.

The truth is, that kind of detachment is necessary for their survival. Ever wonder why those mountains of self-help books from so-called “successes” have failed to help elevate any meaningful number of people? It’s not because those people “just didn’t have it” or because they didn’t try or work hard enough, it’s because analyzing successes is relatively pointless because those kinds of successes are heavily dependent on luck. When something fails, it’s much easier to determine the relationships of cause and effect that produced that failure. Analyzing success is much harder because it’s very hard to determine which “good” decisions were “good” because they were actually sound, and which ones only turned out to be “good” because they worked. Analyzing failure is a little bit like the asking the question, “why is this man dead?” to which the coroner might reply, “blunt force trauma sustained by falling off of a ladder,” to which you could ask, “why did he fall off of a ladder?” and the reply might be, “because he was changing a light bulb at the top of his staircase and lost his footing” and so on. By contrast, analyzing a success is a bit like pointing to a random person and asking, “why is that person alive?”–a question that we have been trying to answer as a species for time immemorial with only minimally satisfying results…

This kind of ambiguity is hard for the brain to accept. The human brain’s primary function after all of the autonomic stuff like regulating heartbeat, respiration, circadian rhythms, and that sort of thing is to maintain narrative coherence. So called “near-death” and “out-of-body” experiences are an example of this–even when the sensory input the brain is being given is complete nonsense, and even though the brain is starved for oxygen, it’s still trying to maintain narrative coherence. That’s why you see the heaven or hell that you were raised to believe in. It’s just working with what it has at the time. This one fact helps explain superstition, religion, and myriad other things that are uniquely human.

Whether they’re conscious of it or not, the minds of most wealthy people are constantly working to justify their success relative to others. They need a narrative that is more satisfying than “well, I just got really incredibly lucky and after that I leveraged the rewards of that to tip the scales increasingly in my favor going forward” because that leaves the possibility open that they could start failing at any moment. They could. It’s unlikely that someone like Bill Gates or Steve Mnuchin will suddenly become paupers because they have so much wealth already that they can absorb nearly anything that might come their way, but it is still possible. They know that subconsciously and it scares the living hell out of them. This is enough to drive a person crazy, (and it does) so they invent reasons why their success was inevitable–they’re smarter, more clever, divinely inspired, work harder, more dedicated, whatever.

That’s not to say that some wealthy people aren’t smart, or clever, or hard working, but lots of people are smart, clever, and hard working and it amounts to peanuts in the end. That compels them take it further and elevate themselves more and more which, in turn, makes them more and more detached from reality. If you wanted an explanation for why people from Donald Trump to Kim Kardashian appear detached from reality to the point of insanity, that’s it–it’s a self-preservation mechanism, they’re avoiding the horrors of a reality where they aren’t really all that special, and where failure is a very real possibility.

This problem has always existed, and it’s part of why there are so many parables dating back thousands of years talking about the dangers of wealth, but thanks largely to the cultural shifts of the 1980’s, we’ve been beatifying the completely unhinged wealthy psychopath image for so long that people have begun to forget, or at least stop taking seriously the warnings that we’ve had about excessive wealth for thousands of years.

Of course this is only part of the story–human history is full of examples where very wealthy people suddenly lost everything, not by chance, but by human hands. This is a reality that the plutocracy has to contend with, and it’s even scarier than the reality that failure is a real possibility, but it’s also a whole separate and entirely-too-long post of its own :wink:

10 Likes

#FirstPercentProblems

To be fair, ever since Reagan, progressive the world over have struggled to make a case for taxation beyond “it helps the poor”, a concept with all sorts of issues. Because individualism runs rampant and taxes are about collective wellfare, individualist rich people really don’t understand why they should ever be asked to partake into a concept (the common good) they simply cannot figure out. So they see it as a somewhat-voluntary charity act, but because it’s not voluntary in size, they resent it as an imposition, a forced sacrifice. This goes double for people who were born into it, like Linton, for whom a life of leisure is just an obvious birthright, why should she ever “suffer” the “threat” of getting a little bit poorer?

I honestly have no idea how to go about fixing this. Shaming them or shutting them down will not change anyone’s mind - Linton’s awful thoughts are now private but they’ll obviously keep spreading through the White House, and Trump is obviously on the same page (he also inherited it all, before pissing it all away several times over). The charity approach doesn’t scale - for every Bill Gates there are hundreds of Panama-Papers crooks. Re-education camps have been somewhat unfashionable for some time now. What’s left? How do we make these people understand what “the common good” is and why contributing is not optional? Do we parachute-drop them into some failed state? I honestly don’t know.

5 Likes

For 1K I’d sew some pockets for her. How about that! A dress…with POCKETS!

5 Likes

Me neither :frowning:

The thing I think is hardest to solve is the tendency for those who are not rich to also despise taxation. Let’s face it, it is not just the super-rich who try and avoid taxes.

Left to their own devices, most people will try and pay as little tax as they can and most people if honest with themselves will have something their tax money is spent on that they resent and where they think their hard-earned money is being wasted.

Personally, I think the only way to perhaps resolve it is to ask people what they think the state should fund and actually implement that.

We’d all collapse into starvation and despotism almost immediately of course but that’s probably coming anyway.

It’s got be about time for Fimbulwinter doesn’t it?

1 Like