Sticker-removing trick: put the stickered item in the freezer

Originally published at: Sticker-removing trick: put the stickered item in the freezer | Boing Boing

8 Likes

You’re gonna need a bigger freezer.

16 Likes

goo gone

12 Likes

You could bring your car to my house in January when temps can get to -10° F but it still may not work. Stickers made to be applied in outdoor situations generally have adhesives that remain flexible at temperatures much lower than that.

5 Likes

January road trip to Tromsø.

4 Likes

As long as we include a tour of Mack I’m in.

2 Likes

Sometimes applying heat with a hair dryer works wonders too.

6 Likes

wait a couple of months - mother nature will take care of that for you

3 Likes

I use this stuff:

But apparently vegetable oil or butter works too.

1 Like

Absolutely.

This stuff is the shit. If it is on plastic or metal works amazingly.

If it is on a cardboard, go slow but it too will work well. Becareful - it is possible to stain.

Hair dryer heat works well in some cases too, but goo gone. Try it.

6 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker

5 Likes

Isopropyl alcohol, almost never fails.

3 Likes

Used to work at a Chevy Dealer when I was going to College in the late 1970’s early 80’s.
One of my jobs was to remove the big “Monroney Label” that was stuck to the side window and put it in the glove box when a car that was sold was being prepped.

It had to be removed in one piece without damaging it so I just soaked it with Windex and rubbed it in a bit with my fingers. Let it set for maybe 15 minutes and I could peel the label off in one piece. Razor blade and more windex cleaned up any remaining adhesive.

4 Likes

Tromsø is not as cold as you would think.

2 Likes

Hmm I wonder what kind of sticker it is

5 Likes

2 Likes

Sometimes scenarios differ, particularly the surface the sticker is stuck to, or the age of the sticker, surface textures, etc. Generally I’ve found that if the sticker is years old there may be a better chance of the adhesive remaining bonded with the paper when pulling, which is what you want (path of most resistance). So occasionally a heat gun can work well enough to soften the adhesive, so when it’s gently pulled, will break free from the surface. Or the paper! Depending on the condition of the sticker. There isn’t necessarily a one size fits all method. Patience and experimentation can sometimes work to get one off cleanly and avoid having to bring in the chemicals.

1 Like

Nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

2 Likes

Well it was in the 60°Fs today, so no doubt warmer than a lot of folks expect.

Average high below freezing in January is all I was hoping for :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I tried, but my son complained it was too cold.

1 Like