Sticking a knife in a toaster

I’ve stuck plenty of cutlery into toasters, and had no problems. But then I make sure it’s not currently on at the time.
I’ve also shocked myself with 240V a few times, and while it hurts, it’s not that bad if it only goes through a small part of your body. It does tingle for the rest of the day though.
110V though? Pah!

Did the manual for that toaster specifically caution against spreading jam on the bread before it was removed from the toaster?

Through a given resistance, twice the voltage will push twice the current; and at a given current, twice the voltage will produce twice the power.

So, refer to your experience of sticking bread knives into powered-on North American toasters (you don’t have any, right?), and figure that doing that in Australia would produce about four times the power.

I did this with a 240v toaster about 30+ years ago just to see what would happen. A pop, a singed knife and a dead element but no explosion. Gained respect for mains 'leccy and a education in denial - “Mum, toasters broken!” “What happened?”, “Dunno - just went pop when I turned it on”

The hole in the lino when we tried making popcorn and panicked when it set on fire was less easily explained.

I’m not an idiot. [citation needed]

1 Like

I like where you’re going with that but in Oz such frivolous lawsuits don’t fly.

The Japanese use 110V as well

I stand corrected. After taking another look I believe you are right, sir… Not entirely sure it’s After Effects though. I believe the dude made some sort of sparkler explosive (like I said, fireworks are Illegal in OZ… so kids get creative on how to blow stuff up) which he put in the toaster. This video comes up when you search for the dude’s name http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZxk5Y2ijo and a similar explosion happens in that video and it’s definitely a sparkler explosive.

http://www.wallstreetinsanity.com/watch-this-man-learn-why-you-should-never-stick-a-knife-in-a-toaster-video/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.