Still free: Assata Shakur, fifty years on the FBI's most wanted list

Originally published at: Still free: Assata Shakur, fifty years on the FBI's most wanted list | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Hands Off Assata, Forever

8 Likes

I wonder how she’s managed it. Leaving the country or having a stable alternate identity seem like the only options.

Either way: Good for her.

2 Likes

She’s been living in Cuba since 1984, where she was formally granted asylum by Fidel Castro.

In more recent years Trump asked Cuba to send her back. Cuba declined the suggestion.

11 Likes

I don’t know enough about her.
Bookmarked for further reading.

10 Likes

Wise decision; doubt you will be disappointed.

4 Likes

I’m really unclear on what point you’re trying to make here or it’s relvance to the discussion, but you can definitely expect to get some pushback from the idea that the slave trade was ended because of “18th-century enlightenment morality.” I mean, it didn’t even officially end in North America until more than halfway through the 19th century, after a very bloody war.

And some slaves did successfully revolt, you know.

5 Likes

WTF indeed.

GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

6 Likes

Considering that on December 4th 1969 Chicago Police murdered Fred Hampton, 21, and Mark Clark, 22—two leaders of the Black Panther Party—and critically wounded four other Party members firing 90 bullets while they were sleeping; I’m sure any ranking Black Panther Party member would be wary of any Police stops and would consider a stint in prison a death sentence. Of course she escaped.

The climate hasn’t changed much in all these years. Why would she ever consider leaving Cuba?

3 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.