Street Demonstrations in Cuba?

Something may be happening in Cuba. Twitterverse seems to report street protests, people getting shot, police changing sides to support protestors?

Here’s a thread for ongoing news, if true.

6 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

The past ten or so years have taught me to be wary of this kind of thing. These kinds of protests are all-too-often quickly and violently suppressed, morph into interminable civil wars or succeed in establishing a government that is somehow even worse than the old one. But every once in a while, these things do work out.

If a majority of the people in Cuba want change, then they must not be ignored.

5 Likes
4 Likes

It’s funny to hear conservatives getting off at this news. Just because the young people want to shake off the Castro and Che years does not mean they’re going to want to go back to the way things where done during the Batista years. Conservatives and old refugee cubans going to have a massive fit if the youth led government adopt an economic model like the nordic states or Germany has :rofl:

9 Likes

NPR is reporting that the Cuban government has shut down Internet on the island.

Me too. I’ve been traveling there pretty regularly since 1999, and things were much worse back then. The difference now, though, is that for 20 years the younger generation has had it much, much better, relatively speaking.

And the major thing will be if indeed the gray shirted and black shirted police are switching sides. The Greens and Blues have always been locals, but the Grays and Blacks are brought in from other provinces and there’s generally a historical animosity in how they are placed.

4 Likes

^I wonder if american conservatives we get behind the puppetmaster’s intentions after Trump lines up with it

3 Likes

How’d that work out for Mubarak? :thinking:

10 Likes

It won’t stop computerized communication.

7 Likes

Biden taking crap from Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and Obama’s former Director of Global Engagement. I’ll only link the last because I don’t care for Rubio and Cruz to get clicks.

4 Likes

I was more referring to who when Mubarak shut down the internet, it just drove even more people onto the streets. If you stop being able to effectively organize online, old school methods still work.

I was wondering how long it would be once Raoul Castro retired that we’d start to see protests…

Looking to be a long hot summer in the Caribbean, though.

8 Likes

Yep, I was just expanding tangentially.

3 Likes

I just heard from a friend in Havana about 10 minutes ago via WhatsApp. He says that police joining protests is false [in his area and along the Malecon] and the shots fired in his neighborhood have been “safe rounds,” whatever that means.

5 Likes

Rubber bullets, maybe?

10 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/cubans-miami-talk-boating-island-back-protests-78815958

Hey Gov DeSantis, is this you?

On Monday, Florida governor Ron DeSantis signed an “anti-riot bill” into law that, among other things, grants civil immunity to people who decide to drive their cars into protesters who are blocking a road.

12 Likes

Let’s not forget that, as Democracy Now adds in its reporting,

Thousands of people also participated in counterprotests in favor of the Cuban Revolution and Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel, who accused the U.S. of instigating the anti-government actions and urged the Biden administration to end the U.S. blockade.

That’s not the kind of info that mainstream US media outlets are likely to include, given their reflexive anti-Cuba stance.

7 Likes

Yep. Sneakernet for the win.

2 Likes

The DSA has also come out in support of the government, and is highlighting the counterprotests. Hard to figure out which side is really “the people” here.

2 Likes