Sting's haunting "Russians" is more relevant today than when he wrote it years ago

Originally published at: Sting's haunting "Russians" is more relevant today than when he wrote it years ago | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Back in the 60’s elementary school, this was a bomb shelter, only the best for American children in case of nuclear attack, you got under it and just hoped for the best.

10 Likes

It’s worth reminding that the melody is ripped straight off Prokofiev’s Lieutenant Kijé suite.

1 Like

“Ripped off”?? It was credited on the album cover. Even with a snippet of the score iirc.

16 Likes

Indeed.

7 Likes

5 Likes

coca-cola-gif-4

5 Likes

8 Likes

Although “Russians” is a great song, it’s worth remembering that Khrushchev didn’t say “We will bury you” in the sense that it was widely misinterpreted (as a threat implying that he wanted to kill us) but was rather claiming that the Soviet system would outlive Western capitalism.

The interpretation i’d heard was more akin to saying, “hey, it’s your funeral”

I dont know which is more correct

1 Like

He can be almost comically po-faced but I enjoyed his self-deprecating turn in “Only Murders in the Building”

2 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.