Stolen guitar recovered after 45 years using facial recognition technology

Randy Bachman did a CBC radio program for many years called “Vinyl Tap” that was often pretty interesting. CBC website has podcasts.

2 Likes

May I ask the county you live for in?

So he ain’t seen nothing yet?

7 Likes

Even if it was purchased in good faith it doesn’t belong to him.

This varies by country, and I don’t know what the Japanese law is. In some places, the good faith buyer of stolen property becomes the legal owner. In others, the original owner can force the buyer to sell it to them for fair market value.

2 Likes

This was the most remarkable aspect of the story to me. In fact, Bachman had acquired so many guitars that years after the devastating Gretsch factory fire when the family wanted to resume production, Randy’s collection helped them to rebuild their entire historical repertoire, allowing them to continue to produce guitars into the future. This I gleaned from other accounts of the story. Related: https://www.gretsch.com/2016/01/seventy-five-vintage-guitars-from-the-bachman-gretsch-collection-sparkle-and-shine-at-nashville-museum-exhibit/

3 Likes

The real kicker would have been if Bachman learned that it had been stolen from someone else before he bought it as a teenager.

This article states that Bachman has bought hundreds of other guitars over the years, so he’s clearly more interested in that particular guitar for its sentimental value than its financial worth. Getting a duplicate version for Takeshi seems like a reasonable thing to do since Bachman clearly has the means to make that happen while Takeshi may not.

5 Likes

Additionally, some of the molecules comprising my being once were found in livestock, produce and other items that were the legal property of other people, so it’d behoove me to identify them and return them to their heirs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.