Storage bins tested by hurling them down flight of stairs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/10/storage-bins-tested-by-hurling.html

4 Likes
10 Likes

the Home Depot ones, yes. we have a shipping container full of them. burning man people know, lol

3 Likes

General rule: Don’t get Sterilite, they always break. Real Rubbermaid all the way.

2 Likes

Only way to go, especially if you reside in the high / low desert, sand / dust / dirt get into your stored valuables, cardboard boxes don’t work.

5 Likes

corpse storage

9 Likes

7 Likes

I don’t see the connection, but I approve of the reference.

2 Likes

We keep grandma in the garage under the winter supplies and the Christmas decorations.

4 Likes

Well, she is in a container of sorts. At the top of the stairs.

2 Likes

Don’t forget bugs/mice/rats/snakes too.

3 Likes

They can get their own boxes.

15 Likes

WTF makes a container that cracks easily when dropped the budget heavy-duty pick?

2 Likes

Cold weather embrittlement.

– A Minnesotan

Update: speaking here of the Home Depot HDX boxes, and the clear polypropylene boxes. That said, Home Depot HDX is cheap enough that it’s an okay deal, like the article says.

1 Like

Someone has to protect her from the terrible secret of space.

2 Likes

huh, no DeWalt or Milwaukee?

Because it doesn’t deform, so what’s inside is still protected. The container just needs to be replaced. Think: motorcycle helmets.

3 Likes

Also, budget.

I like the $7 Black/Yellow ones that Costco sells. It beats the $20 Container Store tote on price/performance easily. I used one as a recycle bin for years–when the trash pickup guys just chuck it back on the driveway after emptying the bin it held up perfectly, unlike the bins the city provided.

1 Like

Those Brute Totes ARE the bomb. Slightly rubbery, won’t break, and takes all the shit we can throw with dive gear loading/unloading/cleaning. Due to the plastic properties it’s slightly heavier than an equivalent container, but worth it.

I’m interested in the IRIS containers now for our humidity-prone attic and garage. Our Xmas and other stored crap need all the help they can get when the coastal air is flowing through.

1 Like