Strange video improved, still strange

[Read the post]

Boy, the people in colorful uniforms seem to hog the spotlight more than the ones in black.

Mentos? :anguished:

1 Like

No link or attribution to the original video?

2 Likes

That would be good, wouldnā€™t it?

1 Like

Thank you (: and now that iā€™m looking at the original video, its definitely a lot stranger than i imagined since thereā€™s no real music to speak of.

1 Like

Wow! The early 80s were a hellava drug.

1 Like

To someone my age there is nothing at all strange about this. Except for the soccer uniforms, this would be practically every informal gathering I went to in college. In fact, I think I know the twin of everyone in the video, except for the young Billy Connolly.

2 Likes

Well, it makes marginally more sense now.

Agreed, they are perfectly normal.

Having fun throwing random songs onto random snippets of the video. Hereā€™s a quickly edited oneā€¦

1 Like

It looks to me like a warmup or tryout for something intended to be more formally organized later. Nothing terribly weird about it. In fact, I think itā€™s sort of weird to say itā€™s weird. Can we have an explanation?

My guess: A fashion show in Germany of the latest (as of the time of the video) soccer styles.

I think theyā€™re dancing about architecture.

2 Likes

Correct. ItĀ“s a snippet from the very popular german sports tv show ā€œDas aktuelle Sportstudioā€. A fashion designer makes proposals for alternative jersey styles, claiming that the existing 1st division ones were boring.
Nowadays that weĀ“ve fortunately reached a point where soccer players begin outing themselves as gay the dancing scene makes a lot of sense once again!

watch gĆ¼nter netzer doing his 5 goals in a row http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/1934392/Netzers-Fuenferpack-an-der-Torwand-#/beitrag/video/1934392/Netzers-Fuenferpack-an-der-Torwand-

And yet somehow the fact that itā€™s in German explains everything.

Imma let you finish, German Soccer Dancers, but what about Brazilian Disco Superheroes?

To be fair, the bold color blocks and zero advertisement make for a kind of retro-cool aesthetic. The yellow-orange-red-white one in particular is 70s-80s zeitgeisty as hell and reminds me of the classic Toyota racing livery. Letā€™s say I wouldnā€™t die of embarrassment rocking a few of those as cycling jerseys or something.