Stranger Things: A TV news report

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/01/stranger-things-a-tv-news-rep.html

4 Likes

“Mom Jeans” were mentioned, affectionately I might add.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Brenda Wood is our actual, real NBC anchor here in Atlanta.

7 Likes

That’s awesome, I just came to say she’s far too beautiful to be a small town anchor, obviously a Hollywood actress. Don’t …you know… don’t tell her I said that.

7 Likes

We’ll keep it in the circle of trust.

8 Likes

Would’ve been better played completely straight. Too self aware.

5 Likes

Yep, way too many references to things that are part the show, but would never have been mentioned in a newscast. I’m not sure exactly what the point of the “viral video” is; the show is still running but doesn’t really need the boost. Since the recent announcement of Season 2 is still fresh, I would think they’d be working up something that drops hints for S2 instead of landing in the middle of the events of S1.

Also, for a series that has prided itself on meticulous authenticity, you would never have heard the term “rocking” when referring to how something is worn, and “mom jeans” might have been a thing in the 80s, but that’s not what they were CALLED yet.

3 Likes

I’m assuming the video was created by fans and not netflix/the producers of the actual show.

Ya, came here to say this. @Mindysan33, bit of a mindfuck, eh?

3 Likes

Um . . . no, the video was created and released by Netflix.

1 Like

That was my thought. A bit too tongue and cheek, and entirely loses that eerie retro feeling that saturates the show.

One of my favorite, unfortunately sparse YouTube series is “Computer Show”. It maintains a vaguely self-unaware parody of early 80s, local Public TV tech shows:

I think they do the parody news thing just a tad better.

6 Likes

Computer Show is unmitigated awesomeness

2 Likes

Not in the world I want to live in. Ok, that makes this doubly disappointing =(

This is called Fan Service, people. Love it or hate it, it’s a thing. It doesn’t have to fit in or take itself seriously. shrug

2 Likes

The ATL is the 9th largest media market in the US… so we’re not that tiny! :wink:

But yeah, Brenda Wood is one of ours.

1 Like

This is supposed to be a news show. There’s no cleavage, screaming pundits or reading of drunk tweets. I don’t understand. /s

A web short for a web series. How meta.

ETA: Seriously though, this is pretty fun. Though what might be a bit more fun is if they hadn’t only made eight episodes for the debut season of one of the coolest shows in years. grumble, grumble…

It’s been a while since the 80’s so my memories aren’t exactly fresh, but it seems to me she nailed the local TV news vibe of the day, even if the references were a bit how the future talks about the 80’s. She should do a tie-in with the backwards-in-time Macbook reviewer :slight_smile:

ETA2: Actually, now I want to see the backwards-in-time Macbook reviewer’s take on the iconic 1984 Mac commercial.

2 Likes

nah, he meant Wood is too pretty to be the anchor in Hawkins IN so it broke the fourth wall for him

1 Like

Yea I overlooked the Atlanta part.

2 Likes

Ah! Silly me, @Boundegar!

Also, can I see, Brenda Wood is fine, but can I say, I’m Team Monica?

1 Like

I never watch the local news lol. But I know who the anchors are, mostly. I’d say I’m Team Jovita, though.

1 Like