Watch anchor's great response after viewer tells her to "dress like a normal woman"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/11/watch-anchors-great-response.html

20 Likes

My wife always asks me how her outfit looks.

My reply lately is “wear what you are comfortable in”.

I don’t care what she wears, and I’d rather she is comfortable in what she is wearing and feels good rather than wearing something she hates or is uncomfortable in because i said i liked the way she looks.

This news anchor is great. I bought these pants, I like them, and I’m going to wear them. Love it! more power to her!

22 Likes

She forgot to add - Jeffery, you are an asshole.

43 Likes

Portland in the house!

8 Likes

I appreciate her response. It’s strange her attire would be construed as unfit for a woman when a man would be laughed off the set if he wore pants like those.
This brings me to my other point, let’s not pretend that she would still have a job if she, say, shaved her head or wore a tuxedo.

2 Likes

I tried that for a while when my wife and I first started dating. Any time she heard it, it was another 10 minutes of changing before we can go out, and there were 50-50 odds of getting the question with the new outfit. I eventually just went with “You look great”. Because she does. Wearing whatever she wants.

After 15 years of marriage, she doesn’t bother asking me any more, but I still tell her she looks great when it’s obvious she’s trying to.

More often, I get “You’re going out in that?”. What can I say? I am comfortable in jeans and cargo pants.

5 Likes

Amen brother!

1 Like

Guys have it easy.

20 Likes

We have a Jeffrey at my work, he’s an insufferable asshole just like Jeffrey. To which I often say…

tumblr_mwh9whAvOH1qb49klo1_400

34 Likes

Having worked in TV news in my first career and gone through (pre-Web) viewer comment logs, I can confirm that a startling number of people have nothing better to do in their lives than complain about the fashion and hairstyle choices of the on-air talent. We even had a couple of “regulars” who’d call at least once every couple of weeks about this.

38 Likes

Well done

4 Likes

I think that has to do with a large number of people having the mistaken idea that they have some sort of ownership over people who appear on tv. But this is MY show I watch it. They are like MY friends and I would tell MY friends what I though of their wardrobe.
Cutting them off at the knees is probably the best policy

22 Likes

Indeed. Entitlement is a hell of a drug.

21 Likes

Be nice if I could find out what the response is without watching a video.

8 Likes

That, and there’s a certain subset of men who seem to feel that a woman not dressing in a way they find attractive is some kind of personal insult.

Anyway let’s drop this little reminder:

32 Likes

There’s no discernible difference how guys or gals dress at my work, my hang-outs, nor amongst my friends.

Of course I’m in back-end tech, I only go to fun places, and my friends rock. I guess you can call me lucky because I know it’s not like that everywhere.

There is one instance I can think of where gals might have it easier: formal work attire required year-round in somewhere like FL. A friggin’ suit with jacket and long-sleeve shirts in 100 degree weather? Even I would probably start wearing a dress (or as us men call them, kilts).

*edit to add quote for clarity

6 Likes

But I thought there was no such thing as fragile/toxic masculinity…

3 Likes

com-add-text%20(1)

9 Likes

That guy can go fuck off. Respectfully, of course.

6 Likes

Not sure what your other point is here. I’m sure she would be fine in a tuxedo. Regarding the hair, it may depend on why she shaved it. Maybe her daughter is going through chemo and she is shaving her hair in solidarity. If you are suggesting that there are boundaries of common appearance she has to stay within, you are probably right but that’s more between her and her employer than between her an the viewers.

1 Like