LA news show slut shames weather forecaster on air

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I think they’re about to get a lot more emails.

59 Likes

That’s unbelievable. That guy should be fired.

Jezebel is reporting too on #sweatergate.

12 Likes

“As you can see, we’ve got a serious Asshole front blowing in from the East…”

31 Likes

If you think that dress was revealing you should see what the weather forecaster from Channel 7 was wearing.

59 Likes

I always think of “slut shaming” as shaming someone who an asshole might call a slut. “Here – cover yourself up” is just plain woman shaming. On top of that there’s no way they got “a lot of emails” in realtime in the timeframe of a weather report. AND they’d have to be monitored in real time too? Ain’t happening. This was just someone there deciding in real time she needed to cover up and just added the emails bit.

21 Likes

scroll down here to the video of a co-worker reading the emails.

Edit: Also, I wouldn’t take ‘emails’ too literally. There are plenty of ways with which to communicate with KTLA in real time, including phone, actual emails, twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. It’s not that much of a stretch that they have someone monitoring that stuff, and various Very Concerned Viewers taking it upon themselves to let the station know they’d erred.

Edit2: It’s also likely that this wasn’t her first appearance during that news hour. She probably did a short ‘today’s weather’ bit about halfway through, and shocked - SHOCKED - people with her inappropriate attire. Those poor folk then had the next ~20 minutes to get over their vapours just enough to heroically struggle their way to a keyboard and register their disapproval. So take the ‘real time’ thing with a bit of salt too.

27 Likes

At @hello_friends’ Jezebel link there’s an off-air video she posted to FB with some of the emails being read. You’re right that there’s no way they came in in real time though, they were probably inspired by the incident to chime in.

3 Likes

I do believe that there is a case here. Of the legal kind, whereupon a large television network pays out an equally large sum of money.

2 Likes

I was a JOKE. Can anyone understand humor anymore? Do you really think they would hand her a sweater ON AIR? It was a bit.

Jezabel reports this as
"Shoulders and Arms Are Now Illegal in the State of California".

Really! Is it just people flipping out over trivial things now?

Just remember, from now on, Boing Boing no JOKES!

8 Likes

What was the funny part?

38 Likes

The part where the lady gets humiliated on TV! Duh!

35 Likes

If no one thinks it’s funny then it is, at best, a failed attempt at a joke.

26 Likes

There was a meteorologist at the competing Channel 4 who came back after break with some kind of covering over her cleavage, but at least they didn’t shame her on air.

Los Angeles is full of conservative a-holes in the burbs, and they send emails via FaceBook complaining about all sorts of crap and in real time. I blame the media outlets for pandering to the masses and using FB.

12 Likes

One of the most holy crap thing from the documentary The Lifestyle was that the two main shooting locations were Littelton Colorado and Orange County LA.

Also WTF is wrong with that dress (as in I can’t see where it is slutty or whatever)? Seriously. It more than covers the important bits, is pretty much a bog standard black dress.

14 Likes

If they were funny, they wouldn’t be on the local news.

Also, why aren’t all local news anchor like kindly 50 year olds. That is their demographic.

1 Like

11 Likes

Please tell me I’m not the only one that heard “Everyone’s got an opinion about your breasts this morning.”

7 Likes

Never seems to stop, either. :frowning:

1 Like

Apparently the sartorial choices of female meteorologists are fraught with peril. To the point where, apparently, many of them have adopted a uniform.

12 Likes