Here's the gross sexual remark Jim Carrey made to a woman reporter while promoting 'Sonic the Hedgehog'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/12/jim-carrey-was-super-gross-to.html

2 Likes

an anti-vaxxer has other repugnant qualities?

no!

28 Likes

Didn’t know he was an anti-vaxxer. Kind of surprised to hear that. As long as he keeps bashing trump with his paintings he gets a pass in my book.

1 Like

Oof, bad pick-up line is BAD; right up there with:

“Are you tired? Because you’ve been running through my mind all day.”

23 Likes

So a person without a filter has no filter. Imagine that.

4 Likes

Insert meme of: All righty then…

7 Likes

Wrong meme, Papa:

16 Likes

I’m hoping this is his “I just realised I need to apologise” face.

15 Likes

Dude. She was doing her JOB. Would YOU consider saying that to someone you were working with? Or would you want someone saying that to you at work? It’s fucking gross and just because he’s an entertainer doesn’t make it okay… even if it IS a joke.

35 Likes

It was a sexually transmitted condition he picked up from Jenny McCarthy.

31 Likes

Personally I think it would be better for people to adapt to a world where sometimes people say mildly offensive things than to demand that no one ever say anything mildly offensive. Maybe he shouldn’t have said it, maybe it was rude, maybe he owes an apology (and the only who can say that is the person to whom he made this comment; you don’t get to decide how she feels about it).

This push for a “zero tolerance” culture is going to come back to bite us if we pursue it. It’s a terrible approach to pretty much anything.

12 Likes

Ah yes… women don’t get to be treated like human beings because it might make a man feel bad… we only exist for the edification of men, after all. Clearly asking to NOT be treated like a piece of meat at work is a bridge too far. /s

macguyver-oh-my-god

37 Likes

Let me fix all that for you:

He shouldn’t have said it, it was rude, he owes an apology.

Stop treating sexual harassment and misogyny as though it’s beneath concern. It perpetuates a nasty cultural view that women exist only for the delight of men and treats men as if they are incapable of controlling their behavior.

The terrible approach is excusing this behavior and hiding behind the skirts of “zero tolerance.”

36 Likes

I think this post is taking what he said out of context. I didn’t hear anything. Yeah, I listened again. Nothing. If only I could remove this story with some magic admin command.

1 Like

Nobody dragged Jim Carrey off in handcuffs and locked him up in solitary confinement for his sins. Nobody confiscated his many millions of dollars and blacklisted him from Hollywood forever. People just called out a gross sexist comment for being gross and sexist.

37 Likes

For some reason the video was linked to start after it happened. Correct time code is 1:38

12 Likes

I’m willing to entertain the possibility that he meant “appearing on your show is the capstone of my career, I can never top this” and his delivery just came off a little creepy, but if that is the case then he really ought to clear that up.

8 Likes

I’m glad you pointed this out. I had forgotten that when you do a recorded interview for television or the internet it is a private conversation between you and the interviewer and no one else is supposed to have any feelings or thoughts about what you say. /s

33 Likes

You don’t have to be an Admin to do that! If you select Muted from the dropdown menu at the end of the topic, it will never bother you again. (I’ve used this a few times myself. :wink: )

22 Likes

Low standards of civility help no one, and exactly who gets to determine what’s “offensive,” mildly or otherwise, for everyone else?

From a strictly professional standpoint, he absolutely should not, no “maybe” about it.

It was undeniably rude, and just plain unnecessary.

Weird; because no one here seems to be doing that.

We’re talking about how we feel about Jim Carrey’s highly inappropriate behavior towards a reporter.

29 Likes