Here's the gross sexual remark Jim Carrey made to a woman reporter while promoting 'Sonic the Hedgehog'

ab-fab-mock-crying

23 Likes

Velcome, new systemic misogyny enabler!

35 Likes

Yes, it was very confusing. I went back to see if I missed it, and it turns out the start time is after the comment.

1 Like

This was a bit of a rabbit hole and ends up being off-topic, but I was just looking this up and found some info about some other bizarre interviews Carrey has done (apparently there have been a lot). One of the articles about a bizarre interview in which Carrey appeared to be in character the whole time mentioned something about Carrey’s upcoming trial in the death of their ex-girlfriend.

I was a little amazed I’d never heard of this and I did some reading. It was a civil case where the parents and estranged husband of the Cathriona White were suing Carrey for allegedly providing the drugs that White used to commit suicide. Carrey’s lawyers predictably argued it as malicious and frivolous but I guess the judge thought there was enough to go on.

Shortly before the trial the whole thing disappeared. Carrey’s legal team offered no explanation or comment aside from simply saying Carrey was looking forward to moving on from this. The lawyer for the parents/husband, Michael Avenatti, also had no comment.

But on topic, it sounds like Carrey just made some weird/inappropriate comments about Margot Robbie last week. This seems like a regular thing.

20 Likes

Is this what you mean?

Yeah… kind of gross.

I was not aware of that story about the woman who committed suicide, either. Wow…

12 Likes

See Jim Carey in How The Cringe Stole Christmas

6 Likes

Yeah, it has this Pick Up Artist “negging” vibe where Carrey was simultaneously calling Robbie beautiful and diminishing their talents. It’s also like red meat to the online misogynists who will just have a great time saying, “What, are you denying that looks are important if you want to succeed in Hollywood? Don’t you care that Hollywood promotes unrealistic ideas of beauty?”

Mostly I was just amazed to run into Avenatti’s name when reading it. And, honestly, given their involvement I don’t give huge weight to the allegations.

(Not that I’m one to jump on the taking-sides boat when the estranged husband sues the boyfriend for wrongful death in a suicide in any event).

I don’t know if you’ve seen Carrey’s Grinch, but I have, and that would have been an appropriate title for it. I swear to god I can’t understand why people put innuendo in children’s movies.

8 Likes

Jim Carrey is an obscenely well-paid arrogant clown. His mean spirited and or creepy comments should surprise no one. Not giving a pass here at all, but def not unexpected

2 Likes

not the first time he has been in the news for being creepy…

3 Likes

Yeah, I was just typing up a similar comment about the Michael Avenatti connection and you beat me too it.

It was a civil case where the parents and estranged husband of the Cathriona White were suing Carrey for allegedly providing the drugs that White used to commit suicide.

White also accused him of giving her HSV and HPV. The note they found on her iPad to him also had a line about how Carrey had introduced her to “cocaine, prostitutes, mental abuse and disease.”

This seems like a regular thing.

You mean like nine years ago when he made the creepy video love letter to Emma Stone, that was a “comedy routine” according to Carrey, but then also tweeted that “the funniest part is that everything i said is tru”

I feel somewhat vindicated that I’ve always hated Jim Carrey, he just stank up every sketch on In Living Color. I despised Fire Marshall Bill.

4 Likes

Nope, still stand by it. Give me a break.

Are you equally willing to dismiss the Robbie comments, the Emma Stone video, and the weirdness with that woman who committed suicide?

16 Likes

Imagine that instead of using a common euphemism for the deed, he had instead spelled it out in detail. Would that seem gross to you? What if he delivered the graphic descriptions of human sexual intercourse with a humorous cadence? More, or less gross?

1 Like

Yeah. Carrey has an undeniable talent for making faces. It’s weird that became a Hollywood career.

11 Likes

To be fair, I thought he did a great job in the Andy Kaufman movie, but much of the rest of his body of work is really just physical comedy.

11 Likes

He could have quit after the Truman Show and that would have been just fine for me.
I’m pretty sure Emma Stone is fully capable of telling him to fuck off herself but that doesn’t make his behaviour any less creepy.

12 Likes

I think I kind of liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Actually, I don’t remember it that well, but I associate the space it left in my memory with something I liked.

13 Likes

Ah that’s a bummer. The rest of the interview seemed pretty cordial and pleasant. That comment was out of line though.

Ironic.

Additional characters.

3 Likes

Jinx

More characters.