Stranger Things' David Harbour's fiery SAG Awards speech and Winona Ryder's fantastic facial expressions

I think the purpose of most award shows basically boils down to Hollywood celebrities are your betters. Thank whatever gods you believe in (which is to say, us) that we are here to provide fleeting bits of joy to your otherwise meaningless lives.

That said, it’s fun to see them get in the occasional jab against people like Trump.

6 Likes

I really enjoyed his speech- regardless of Winona (who I really, really liked in Stranger Things) making all manner of odd faces. He took his time and tried to do something good with it- it remind us all that we can do something, however small, to make our world better for everyone.
That’s a noble thing to do.

17 Likes

The writers’ strike is what brought us Trump. TV executives decided they didn’t want to put up with writers more than they needed to, so they started moving toward more and more shows that don’t need writers, namely, reality TV. Reality TV is what brought Trump back into the spotlight.

10 Likes

I get the point of awards show speeches - speakers recognizing the other people who made that work significant, and thanking people for seeing the work as worthy of awards. Generally I don’t get why anyone outside that industry cares about it, though.

Ryder seems a bit intoxicated/out of it, and she seems to be having a hard time following what’s going on, even though she clearly wants to be supportive of what he’s saying (but isn’t quite sure how to show that).

4 Likes

10 Likes

Maybe she’s just reacting to the guy with his hands on her back and shoulders.

18 Likes

Love his speech!

And also, yes, I would bet she is tripping balls.

7 Likes

Reality TV was screwing over writers for years before that, by pretending that the show writers weren’t really “writers”, even though they contributed story lines, narrative arcs and dialogues. I can’t really blame the writers for trying and getting what they could.

If I were to blame anyone in the media for this election result, it would be CNN for just running entire Trump speeches without commentary out of sheer ratings, and the NY Times for straining at the molehills of Clinton emails while not even investigating the actual and proven fraud and corruption with Trump.

But here we are…now is now.

4 Likes

Wino forever

6 Likes

He was also good in a very limited role in Hidden Figures. He definitely had a breakout year. As far as Luke Cage, I also think Alfre Woodard was excellent, and the guy who played Shades. The bad guys always seem like juicier acting gigs in the Marvel Netflix series, although the guy who played Diamondback was awful.

3 Likes

“we will, as per chief Jim Hopper, punch some people in the face when they seek to destroy the weak, the disenfranchised, and we will do it all with soul, with heart, and with joy.”

The last time I punched someone*, I did so with soul, heart, and rage. No joy. The joy came afterwards.

*It was a long time ago and they deserved it. If I see you hitting an innocent animal, I will confront you. If that animal is my fucking dog, expect that confrontation to involve my fist.

11 Likes

The second half of the show just completely falls apart because of the change in villains, Shades was pretty good up until that point and then his involvement and motivation become really muddled and unclear. But i do agree that the actor did a great job. The less said about Diamondback the better, it was an embarrassment for the show.

2 Likes

That’s why you should take things slow and explain “it” to them.

3 Likes

4 Likes

The point that actors, writers and other creatives have a responsibility to lead our culture in a positive direction is, in my opinion, extremely important in 2017. We need more stories that reflect values like tolerance, rationality, etc. Our government may be in the worst possible hands right now, but cultural leadership belongs to the left, and now is the time to flex that muscle.

Normally I have zero fucks to spare for celebrities, their causes and awards ceremonies, but I loved this speech—its message, and the force with which it was delivered. I wish that our elected representatives could half as eloquent.

9 Likes

3 kinds of Trump supporters who just watched that video:

1. Looks up “minutiae” in a dictionary.
  2. Looks up “minutiae” in an online dictionary.
  3. Doesn’t know how to use a dictionary. Doesn’t care. “Minoosha! You out of touch liberals and your big college words!”
8 Likes

Yea, I went back and read the transcript. At least he’s on the side of the angels.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this instantly justifies my having watched Stranger Things through 4 whole times (in fairly rapid succession…)

I knew I liked the Chief. :slight_smile:

SEASON 2 FTW! STRANGER THINGS CAST GOES THROUGH PORTAL IN TIME, AND DEFEATS TRUMP!!!

5 Likes

That creepy guy is creepy Matthew Modine!

2 Likes

Understand that many/most actors – yes, even them fancy ones on the TV and big screen – are not at all rich people. In fact many struggle to live a middle-class lifestyle. I don’t disagree about your take on what awards shows tend to convey, but remember that many actors bust ass, and even work side jobs to pay the bills!

6 Likes