Strategic butt-coverings in video-games

It was judging base entertainment in the same way you would judge Breaking Bad. She might as well go to a strip club and complain that the performances lack depth.

Yeah? Iā€™m not asking the question of myself, I have formed a view on that already. Iā€™m asking what you think, and why you posted it. Posting it suggests you see some kind of equivalence there, and Iā€™m interested to hear what you think it is.

To me each of those images represent very different characteristics of gendered toys.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not high art but I certainly donā€™t think itā€™s dreck (like Fast and Furious), there is some room in between.

Yes blowing up shit and stabbing shit is a very large part of why I play games but the reason that I choose games like Mass Effect, Borderlands, Saints Row, Dragon Age, etc. over other death-kill-murder games is that they have characters that I actually like and come to care about. Although I did put a ridiculous number of hours into Skyrim despite not caring about anyone in that world.

And I would like to see increasingly better stories and characters not less nuance.

I know Iā€™m not alone in this. And itā€™s not a dichotomy, people who want simpler games can have those too. There is room. But if you are going to have a story, try to make it good. If you want to make a strip club simulator, do that instead.

7 Likes

There are all sorts of good indie games out there.

Sorry boss, 'fraid Iā€™m done with this thread. My butt joke swan song was above.

Canā€™t look away

They are always fine and wise posts, which should be paid attention to, so thereā€™s that.

Nah, Beaujolais Nouveau, just for the lulz.

1 Like

10 Likes

Nathan Drakeā€™s butt is in shadow and not in any way what the art is emphasizing over all else, unlike the myriad examples of female butts which are the subject matter, presented more prominently than even the fucking storylineā€¦

Fail.

7 Likes

Tight dungarees.

1 Like
6 Likes

Just throwing out a thought it here, but could she be mentioning the original Tomb Raider because itā€™s a canonical example and a highly influential game? I mean, if I were documenting a trope, I might mention a major foundational point in its establishment.

7 Likes

How about you make your own crowd-funded series of video-game criticism videos? And leave the comments open.

18 Likes

there are games like Frogger which is a video game and doesnā€™t have butt stuff.

And was Frogger the launch-pad of a successful franchise?

Now you know why.

Plus: male butts.

I think this is a win-win.

3 Likes

You wore the wrong chaps to work today, thatā€™s obvious.

3 Likes

More obvious when I got up from the couch.

3 Likes

10 Likes

4 Likes