Stuck Suez ship sets sail

I’ve heard that only 52 ships go thru a day. It was shut down for 4 days? A lot of ships got backed up. Going around might be quicker if you don’t have a good spot in the line.

3 Likes

"Suez, Suez, oh no,
You gotta go,
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Suez, Suez, oh baby
You gotta go

Fine little girl waits for me
Catch a ship across the sea
Sail that ship about, all alone
Never know if I make it home

Suez, Suez, oh baby
You gotta go"

7 Likes

That surprised me. I thought the rule on the water is to always pass on the left, but it appears they designated the ships to take the right channel instead.

2 Likes

It helps if you’re already on course for the cape. Deciding to go around the cape when you’re already in the Arabian Sea/Gulf of Aden means quite a course correction.

7 Likes

The PNE would be fun they said.

4 Likes

I am so glad I don’t work for the web host for vesselfinder.com. Checked it a few times this morning and the loading lag was horrendous - red hot servers ahoy!

6 Likes

Ok. No more jokes. That ship has sailed.

21 Likes
10 Likes

Somehow the istheshipstillstuck.com site has an easter egg that Rick-rolls you. I’ve triggered it a couple of times but havent figured out how. Enjoy!

7 Likes

Same here! Hackers? Witchcraft?

rick astley 80s GIF

2 Likes

Enjoying the topic but hating the title.
She sells seashells

Superdogs, and that’s about it for fun.

3 Likes

Do not dismiss the mini-donuts.

8 Likes

I spent far too much time poking into the site’s code, found the redirect.

Spoiler below if you want to find it for yourself.

What ended up working was to use chrome’s dev tools → network log → “preserve log” tickbox, let it redirect, then poke through the log until I found the css file itself that was being loaded. It can be read through at https://istheshipstillstuck.com/_next/static/chunks/pages/index-02c185e4fedcbc888c00.js if you’re interested.

8 Likes

Thanks!

Looks like the other option is Tom Holland lip-synching “Umbrella”

1 Like

My wife loves them.

2 Likes

I was thinking that it was about time a sea shanty be penned.

3 Likes

Every ship for the next week, the captain is going to be muttering “don’t fuck up, don’t fuck up, please don’t fuck up…”

4 Likes

The sick ship’s sandy sore shore surely shifted?

7 Likes

Which brings up the question…do African sea shanties exist? Or is it just a Western thing, or the Western thing so overshadowed them that they’re rather esoteric?

4 Likes