Student ejected from ceremony for graduating while black

I know honor cords are often fine, and they are >70 inches in length. They’re not hat tassles. They drape over both shoulders, Eagle Scouts are encouraged to wear a red white and blue one. Thousands of them, annually. It’s a thing, everywhere. There are other honor cords as well. Stoles are also not uncommon, while often reserved for faculty or alumni, they are not exclusively though.

I’d not want to see the battle flag of a national enemy such as ISIS or North Korea represented in a graduation ceremong. nor the battle flag of a defeated enemey such as Imperial Japan, or the Confederate Army flag, displayed in a civil ceremony. My take on the flags of national enemies in civil ceremonies is my own, but I think it widely shared. I believe that an honorary piece of clothing atop the robes is wholly heard of and not at all shocking. Common would be a good word here. There are whole internet stores devoted to selling caps, gowns, and the other things commonly worn with them. Including these cloths.

The ejection looks a lot more like intolerance and abuse of power than like attention seeking.

I am glad the kid didn’t also get shot.

I am deeply touched by all the new users concerned with the incorrectness of the thoughts of others. Hello new users! Welcome. Your expertise is very educational. Carry on as though I were still here.

10 Likes