Student ejected from ceremony for graduating while black

It’s a discussion forum, dude.

So if people happen to discuss a current event which has upset some people, that’s somehow “buying into an outrage culture?”

Wow, who knew there were only two choices of perspective available regarding this topic; Ignore Completely or Become Outraged?

Screw this silly cyclical discussion;

Dance Off!

11 Likes

I’ll agree that he’d have the right to wear it. If, however, he were ordered to obey the rules and refused, the administration would have the right to ask him to leave, and if he refuses, to have him removed from the ceremony. Most corporations have dress codes. Either to maintain a corporate image, or to comply with safety regulations. He won’t fare any better in the business world if he refuses to comply there. The inflammatory headline of this article aside, this was a simple case of a student that felt the rules didn’t apply to him. As a question to you, do you believe a white student with a Confederate “Stars and Bars” flag around his shoulders should be allowed to express his “Southern Heritage”?

1 Like

So an American descendent of African slaves has no “right” to their African cultural heritage? Holy crap, man.

If the “cultural heritage” you want to identify with is tone deaf hate speech then no.

As much as you want to characterise this discussion as people insisting on a certain definition of culturally appropriate attire while at the same time demonstrating their hypocrisy by not allowing every type of cultural expression, if you can’t see the shades of grey between a kente cloth and a confederate flag you are either being disingenuous or you lack some fundamental reasoning skills. Perhaps a combination of both.

13 Likes

3 Likes

Since she was commenting at me, and she knows I’m not a Christian, that’s why she said it… :wink:

1 Like

5 Likes

Totes historically accurate!

3 Likes

What does this have to do with anything?!?! We aren’t talking about this kids prospects in the business world, but hey, if we were you’d be right. Getting a job while black is a lot harder than getting a job while white.

Would that ‘southern heritage’ make any African American students in attendance feel unwelcome?

10 Likes

11 Likes

From you. Yes. And look, you got mine. But not much of it.

Also, your logic is deeply flawed. Good luck with that. Thanks for all the fish.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I know honor cords are often fine, and they are >70 inches in length. They’re not hat tassles. They drape over both shoulders, Eagle Scouts are encouraged to wear a red white and blue one. Thousands of them, annually. It’s a thing, everywhere. There are other honor cords as well. Stoles are also not uncommon, while often reserved for faculty or alumni, they are not exclusively though.

I’d not want to see the battle flag of a national enemy such as ISIS or North Korea represented in a graduation ceremong. nor the battle flag of a defeated enemey such as Imperial Japan, or the Confederate Army flag, displayed in a civil ceremony. My take on the flags of national enemies in civil ceremonies is my own, but I think it widely shared. I believe that an honorary piece of clothing atop the robes is wholly heard of and not at all shocking. Common would be a good word here. There are whole internet stores devoted to selling caps, gowns, and the other things commonly worn with them. Including these cloths.

The ejection looks a lot more like intolerance and abuse of power than like attention seeking.

I am glad the kid didn’t also get shot.

I am deeply touched by all the new users concerned with the incorrectness of the thoughts of others. Hello new users! Welcome. Your expertise is very educational. Carry on as though I were still here.

10 Likes

Citation needed.

I’ve worked at three corporations, one rather large (about 60,000 employees when I left) over the last 19 years. In all of these, there was no dress code unless you mean “wear pants and a shirt” and I actually wore a kilt to work often.

16 Likes

Do they have the right to remove him?

Given the fact that, by all accounts, he was peaceful, I wonder if this…

…interfering with the right to peaceably assemble…

…perhaps means that they specifically do not have the right to remove him.

3 Likes

YMMV tho, but I had a similar experience once. I worked for a mid sized.com in Tucson that had a similar dress code enforced, but trousers were required for male employees, yet women could wear skirts - including skorts? (shorts from the back, skirt from the front - basically shorts with an added bit of cloth across the front - so very much shorts by another name).
Trousers were unbearable in +110(F) degree heat on an “open campus”. I thought that dress code both unfair and unreasonable, especially since we never interacted with customers.
When I showed up in shorts on a particularly hot summer day (>113 in the shade) I was given the option to go home & change or get fired (by a manager who allegedly resented me for having a future :pushpin: - it was 20 some odd years ago now) so I went home and decided to hack the system. I borrowed a plaid from my neighbors Catholic school girl days and went back to work.

When confronted I was threatened with a trip to HR to which I happily offered to oblige so the manager could explain why they were oppressing my “Scottish Heritage” (I’m actually English but the fool didn’t know the difference) & with that, and a huff, they let it drop.

This also reminds me of the first time I experienced overt racism against a minority group I was a part of - it just wasn’t obvious (immigrants) - but that’s a story for another day. Being an immigrant I do have some doozies…

:pushpin: my future took a radical shift a few years after this when I took ill, as I remain to this day. For those reading that are on good health, revel in the bounty of joy & good fortune you are afforded each and every day!

7 Likes

Be careful, my friend, you play a dangerous game. The “tone deaf hate speech” you speak against must still be allowed under the right to free speech. If one is silenced today, another can be silenced tomorrow. The pendulum swings in all directions and is fueled by injustice. The young man highlighted in the article was simply an attention seeker. He decided to stir controversy and was quite successful. The school has a written policy on the appropriate attire for the graduation ceremony, but he felt entitled to ignore that policy. Another student in the attire of his heritage, regardless of the nature of that heritage, would also have been removed. The same as a student in the jersey of his favorite sports team, or the attire of his favorite music group. Your lineage doesn’t give you the privilege of ignoring any rule that you simply don’t like. That injustice has happened many times in the past, and has only fueled the pendulum of future injustices. Perhaps it’s time to let the pendulum rest. I’ll leave you with the last response.

1 Like

Well, that’s demonstrably false. There are a lot of reasons why it sucks to be a public school teacher. Standardized testing, right-wing discrediting of the entire profession, perpetual de-funding, incompetent school administrators…dealing with a complex civil rights issue in the public sphere doesn’t even rank much less win the contest. Also, I don’t see a whole lot of naming and shaming of a particular teacher here…

5 Likes

What’s your evidence for these two repeated claims?

11 Likes

I’m beginning to understand both my sad devotion to this ancient browser, and why it crashes so often.

4 Likes

I have done that. Though I don’t go regimental as Boeing does have dress codes for valid safety reasons and for skirts it did say underwear required. Also if you are in the factory or flightline,areas EVERYONE wears long trousers.

6 Likes