Student ejected from ceremony for graduating while black

Yes, I especially agree there, or anyway, find that part especially interesting. Acknowledging that the U.S. still has a mainstream racist culture would mean changing a LOT about the way so many white people view how “the world” works. It would mean seeing that America isn’t “fair” and “free” after all in terms of race. Hell, for many it would mean understanding that white people aren’t “the real victims these days,” and that quite the opposite is true.

3 Likes

Also in terms of gender, sexual preference, religious beliefs, etc.

Still you totally :

Basically if such folks actually acknowledge the injustices and inequality that are rampant in our culture, that poses a threat to negate the mythos of our nation’s exceptionalism over all others.

And we can’t have that now, can we?

2 Likes

Surely another 500-1500 posts and we’ll be there.

Really? You want to play this without any nuance, completely binary? So a yarmulke and a swastika are both equally valid and appropriate forms of self expression, one can’t be held as more appropriate than the other without violating the “principle of free speech”?

Your argument is racist, self serving and deeply flawed.

What exactly is so provocative and “attention seeking” about the kente cloth? Spell it out for me.

Scratch that. Don’t bother. I just read the rest of the thread. Enough already.

5 Likes

Keep on digging that hole…

edit: Added quote for context.

3 Likes

I heard about this in high school, met some people in college who said this, but did not grok it. What I did do was recognize that this is what everyone smarter than me believed, and took it on faith. As a now 40s white guy, I am fucking astonished on a daily basis how this culture is built for exactly me. Holy crap people. Take it from me, it is great to be 40something and white in America, even on little money. Not bragging. I see how bad it is out there for so many. What I do for work brings me to where other people work and live. It’s illuminating.

10 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

7 Likes

That said, the “I totally make fun of everyone equally” crowd usually have thin skins about some pet weakness or other.

3 Likes

Oh, I know… have you seen that whole bit by him? He’s basically describing white privilege for the audience. He talks about how time travel is a white privilege, for example. I think this is the whole clip…

5 Likes

Ever see his segment about “enough” because it’s brilliant.

(I’m sorry the quality is potato.)

4 Likes

YAY!

7 Likes

Yes! His show is great! I love the little girls that play his daughters.

2 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t seen where it has been answered in any way other than rhetorically.

1 Like

Aw, jeez – could you have stopped before those last two sentences?

I can see how it could be a racial issue. But I don’t see where that’s definitive beyond – quite reasonable – speculation.

1 Like

You are, I believe, making bad-faith posts in order to encourage anger on the part of @CaptainPedge.

His quotes, when not attributed to any individuals, are reasonably interpreted as paraphrases of multiple sentences in a 500+ post thread.

1 Like

But it’s true. The poster is trying to use debate “tactics”, not having anything of a discussion with the rest of us.

2 Likes

And the user has now gotten a time out, FWIW. Apparently, the people in charge agreed that he was arguing in bad faith.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.