Students substitute gun control protest for active shooter drill

Uhh… Might want to check your school math. 2012 kindergartens are just now going into middle school not high school.

Proposed hashtag: notmetoo

1 Like

Ah pedantry; it never gets old and always advances the conversation in a positive direction…

6 Likes

Unpopular opinion: I won’t concede any further gun legislation while our police remain militarized. If you want England style gun laws, that means bringing in policing by consent as well.

2 Likes

I’m sad to inform you that the whole “an armed populace is just what we need to keep the police in check” thing didn’t work out as well in practice as it did in theory.

12 Likes

It would be much worse if they didn’t think we could fight back. (Think China levels of oppression.)

It ended with

Can you name even one incident in which a private citizen experienced a positive outcome after shooting a cop? Maybe a neighborhood that saw a sizable reduction in police brutality after the residents started staging an armed resistance?

9 Likes

You can’t fight back and they already know it. If you haven’t noticed the US already has a bit of a problem with unaccountable police shootings and mass incarceration. If you take up arms you just get to reenact MOVE’s experience in Philly.

12 Likes

I’m more worried about regulations that are applied exclusively to people of color.

2 Likes

Indiana passed an amended “Stand your ground” law after an officer raped a woman in her home, and it was discovered that no law protected using force to stop that situation.

This had the nice side effect of dramatically cutting down on police doing things like walking into people’s homes without warrants and incentivizing them to buy body cameras to document when they claimed to have probable cause.

2 Likes

Without guns, POC must rely on a police force that is neither inclined nor required to defend them.

In fact, gun control in this country has racist roots, originally intended to disarm free slaves and leave them helpless against lynch mobs.

1 Like

I’m a bit unique on Boing Boing in that I’m fairly pro gun (anyone else posting from the bottom left of the political compass?)

One thing that frustrates me is that many people’s views on what should be done simply don’t account for our nation’s laws.

For example, for those of you claiming the 2nd doesn’t support an individual right to bear arms or that we bring back the Assault Weapons Ban, I’d suggest reading up on McDonald v. City of Chicago and District of Columbia v Heller. Neither barring private ownership nor renewing the AWB would pass consitutional muster.

We absolutely need stronger background checks for firearm purchases. We also need better social services. Universal health care - including psychiatric care, coupled with a strong social safety net would remove many of the triggers that push people to “snap”. But neoliberals would rather pretend abolishing private ownership of guns or banning certain, scarier types of guns will solve the issue, when not only would such solutions be blocked by the courts, they would be band aids that do not address the inequality which drives these incidents.

QuoriBrain
QuoriSpore
Which is which? Who is who?

2 Likes

Conversely, one thing that frustrates me is that our nation’s laws have made it possible for violent people to massacre school children on a regular basis and the nation’s gun fetishists don’t even seem to find the situation problematic.

16 Likes

Because it isn’t their kids. It isn’t their problem.

“Not my people. Not my problem.” Is their mentality.

1 Like
17 Likes

Always a “State Rep” with that level of crazy. Do they hand out “State Rep” in boxes of Wheaties in Florida?

1 Like
6 Likes