Study claims Neti pot use reduces Covid 19 hospitalization rates among high-risk patients

Coke adds life.

Indeed. A few squeezes of saline are slightly less effective at clearing, but 10x less hassle. When I’ve done full irrigation it was a bit of a chore getting everything drained and back to normal.

1 Like

Kurzgesagt covered the amoeba a little while ago in their singular style.

4 Likes

That’s what I use; it reduces the length and severity of colds and sinus infections for me. There was a nasty cold going around about a month ago and I irrigated as soon as that raw, clogged up feeling started. I was barely impacted by the cold and completely back to normal in 3 days vs. the full week most of my compatriots suffered.

It’s a classic safe until it isn’t situation.

Your odds of exposure are low but if it happens your screwed…

Nasal rinsing regularly with untreated water is just increasing the low odds against you.

Also climate change is really messing up the expected ranges of a lot of infectious diseases. I like to error on the side of caution.

(My wife is an ID doctor so we tend to error on the side of caution in our house)

4 Likes

i’ve been neti potting more since the start of the pandemic. it’s nice to see some experimental verification of my intuition! gonna boil up a pot now…

1 Like

Seconded. When the Peas Twins were little I foolishly tried to teach them how to use a neti pot. Did not work. I eventually found the Arm & Hammer saline mist and used it like a neti pot, ie. injecting a lot of solution and letting it drain everything out. I think these are more for moisturizing dry sinuses, but if you just blast the thing it’s basically the same without the yogic breathing technique.

Yeah, the practice (and name) is ancient, actually. They were introduced to the US in the 70s, but the practice is at least 800 years old and yogic breathing techniques are a major component that have the added benefit of not flushing everything down your gullet.

4 Likes

Use neti pots with tap water, or even well water. Drink raw milk. Make Orange Julii with a raw egg. Eat steak tartar. And never, ever use hand sanitizer - just plain soap and water.

“Soon the age will be past when you could be content to live hidden in forests like shy deer!” – Nietzsche, The Gay Science

2 Likes

6 Likes

At the same time, the inconveniences of a neti pot is a fairly small sacrifice for not filling a landfill with 730 of those cans a year. Seriously, if people expect a lower bar than that before they turn to an environmentally friendly option the planet is very very fucked indeed.

1 Like

This “study” is absolute nonsense and shouldn’t be promoted here.

“They took a small group of highly selected patients, randomized them into 2 different types of nasal irrigation, and then compared outcomes in the overall trial sample (arms combined) to outcomes as reported by the CDC.”

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a tiny and absurdly selective sample and they just compared it to the total general population rather than standard care.

Worthless study (unless you are trying to sell netipots I guess)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.