Study shows wasabi offers a "dramatic" boost in memory

I see what you did there :slight_smile:

So…first you’ll need to grow some wasabi…to help you remember to plant some wasabi…

11 Likes

And your friend’s memory of the experience was vivid and enduring! Wasabi works!

UPDATE: Carolina Reaper chillis have similar memory-boosting properties and you soon learn to wash your hands thoroughly after chopping them. Or so I hear from a friend.

7 Likes

True, a number of MDPI journals are indistinguishable from predatory journals.

3 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I had wasabi.

12 Likes

For as long as you can remember to do so.

8 Likes

I get the powdered stuff to make at home when we make sushi and it’s horseradish, mustard, and 10% actual wasabi, so, better than nothing.

@anothernewbbaccount (and @snigs ) - speaking of wasabi and events, you might enjoy this:

(A little under 3-minute listen)

5 Likes

Me either! Fantastic scene. (and I always feel like I need more of Jean Reno’s acting in my life)

8 Likes

My best friend’s daughter is non-verbal autistic, and when she was about 8 or 9 years old, we went to eat at a Chinese buffet that also had a sushi bar. My friend got a lot of sushi, and a bowlful of wasabi (ok, green horseradish, probably, but it was still pungent). Her daughter apparently thought it looked interesting. We weren’t in the habit of monitoring what she ate in restaurants because she was going through a phase at the time where literally the only thing she would eat was nacho cheese flavored Doritos. Anyway, before we could stop her, she scooped up the entire bowlful of wasabi in her hand and shoved it in her mouth. We both drew back in shock and tensed up for the inevitable meltdown. When K got overstimulated and had a meltdown, it could get very bad, very quickly. She…swallowed the wasabi and otherwise had absolutely no reaction whatsoever. We looked at each other like, “What the hell just happened?”

15 Likes

Sometimes the right stim is good stim? Horseradish spice is mediated by a different receptor than capsaicin, I’ve a friend who’s a complete chili-head who happily eats hot Thai level heat with no problem, but horseradish knocks her for a loop, so it can be very individual.

10 Likes

I got it to work in Michigan, right until the damned groundhog ate all the greens. :rage:

tl;dr - plant seeds the second your last frost hits.

@zfirphdn: I got a free packet of seeds with my seed order a couple years ago. :woman_shrugging:

@smut_clyde: Two words for handling super hot peppers: nitrile gloves.

10 Likes

Oh it’s definitely a different mechanism. The active ingredient in horseradish and wasabi is also water soluble, while capsaicin isn’t, so with wasabi, almost immediately after swallowing, the “heat” goes away.

10 Likes

Wasabi remembers!

4 Likes

That’s why I started snorting the stuff

5 Likes

Baker Creek sells wasabi radish seeds (i have a sneaking suspicion you “freebie” was from them. they’re cool like that).
we grew some all the way down here. they were stunted - don’t think they like the heat. they were very potent and are slow to grow. i will try again this year, this is actually a good time to start some, as we do not get frost. they may have time to mature before it gets nasty hot down here.

with that all said, i guess this study tells me why i remember all of my very most special sushi outings, right down to place and fare. and i go for good sushi as often as i can!

8 Likes

But the article says Wasabi “extract”? What the heck is that? Is it richer in that 6-MSITC stuff? Does it have a kick? Is it available over the counter? Or only from that one friend who keeps trying to sell me homemade soap?

5 Likes

Mustard’s in the same family. But it says “known to exist in only trace amounts elsewhere throughout the plant kingdom” so mustard’s a no. Too bad, cause I just noticed it outside and made a kale / chard / mustard green omelet this morning.

6 Likes

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit eating wasabi.

12 Likes

Literally true.

13 Likes

There’s also the oldie but goodie “green tea ice cream” prank.

4 Likes

“It’s like mustard. Gives it a real kick.”

3 Likes