Study shows wasabi offers a "dramatic" boost in memory

Originally published at: Study shows wasabi offers a "dramatic" boost in memory

11 Likes

According to my googling skills, Wasabi sold in the USA is actually horseradish with a bit of tinting. It is related to the Japanese plant, but more available and less expensive. So it looks like we need a follow-on study!

24 Likes

Is this restricted to actual Japanese wasabi? I doubt the stuff we get at American sushi restaurants counts… :frowning:

12 Likes

Great! Now do AITC

1 Like

Yay! Need to remember to plant some in the Spring.

16 Likes

Damnit, now you’ve got me thinking about how to make this work in VA!

11 Likes

patenting wasabai toothpaste

12 Likes

Same.

8 Likes

Apparently, the wasabi sold in Japan is often not wasabi either.

ETA: if it’s not produced in the Wasabi region of france, it’s only sparkling root.

24 Likes

the spicy ground rhizome that takes sushi from a meal and turns it into an event

Yep. An unpleasant event I’d rather not remember, so avoiding it entirely seems like a good personal strategy for me. :wink:

4 Likes

One of my local shops sells tubes of wasabi whose main ingredient is wasabi. It’s better than the normal stuff I think.

I must admit that I haven’t got the real fresh stuff grated though they do grow it locally.

12 Likes

A friend unaccustomed to it thought it was avocado. Hilarity ensued.

6 Likes

Well, I guess we do all laugh at unfortunates who slip on banana skins…

7 Likes
6 Likes

* This message brought to you by the Wasabi Growers Association of Japan.

16 Likes

Pivo Lol GIF by Radegast

10 Likes

There’s a French movie called “Wasabi”, with Jean Reno as a fish-out-of-water French detective in Tokyo. In one scene, waiting for his meal in a restaurant, he distractedly dips both fingers into the pot of wasabi on the table and helps himself to a healthy dollop.

I saw it in a French movie theater, and about half the audience gasped audibly. The gasp was followed by a burst of general nervous laughter. I think the reason that it was only half the audience was because sushi hadn’t really hit France back then, and not everyone knew what wasabi was.

15 Likes

that’s at 1:10 below, hilarious!

14 Likes

Not what I expected. At all!

14 Likes

This story set off several woo alarms, so I googled the background, and it seems the study is published, but in a journal that may have some issues. The top google results are overwhelmingly just versions of this same story on other sites in the boingboing mold.

13 Likes