Stunning new 4K video of dolphins swimming in blue bioluminescence off Newport Beach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/24/stunning-new-4k-video-of-dolph.html

7 Likes

Cool! I like glowy dolphins and glowy rocks.

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/adventures-in-oversharing-zomg-glowy-rocks-or-mister-44s-fluorescent-minerals/

3 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to see this a few times and I have to agree that it is absolutely magical.

It’s also worth mentioning, that while less magical, it is possible to try and write ones name in the bioluminescence while peeing of a boat.

8 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes

Less magical??? My good person, you have given me a new life goal!

6 Likes

This right is here is the problem with humans in a nushell

5 Likes

Tron Dolphins!

5 Likes

1 Like

It’s easier if you are penis-enabled.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting something truly wonderful. Makes dealing with daily doo doo that much easier.

7 Likes

Seeing this in person is the closest you can get to an acid trip without being stoned.

3 Likes

Keep in mind the truism that most sailors drown with their fly unzipped. Peeing over the side brings one to the edge of the vessel, and odds are one hand is occupied.

4 Likes

Interesting that the dorsal fin, a control surface, seems to produce more turbulence than the tail flukes, the drive.

2 Likes

Looks kinda like Cherenkov radiation.

4 Likes

Nah, sailors piss (and more) off boats all the time.
There is an art to it.

2 Likes

You should do yourselves a favour and watch Attenborough’s Life That Glows:

It has this and many other stunning examples of bioluminescence.

4 Likes

Clearly this was just a case of a seafaring Wizard summoning a Dolphin Patronus.

6 Likes

something for the shop?

2 Likes

[quote=“Mister44, post:5, topic:169796”]
Less magical??? My good person, you have given me a new life porpoise!
[/quote] :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Cool!
I’ve never seen dolphins swim through it, but when I lived in Florida the bioluminescence would sometimes come in pretty strong. There was a while when I would go out swimming at night wearing naught but a pair of goggles. Swimming under water in that was closest I’ll ever get to Peter Pan-style flying, complete with pixie dust.

4 Likes