Stupidly wrong but persistent tropes in books, plays, comics, movies and TV

Well, duh.

The first two lines of “Everything You Ever,” standing alone, have enough greatness to beat most movies. And the rest of Dr. Horrible, built around those two lines, is just mind-bogglingly awesome.

4 Likes

Oblig:

7 Likes

Portraying a character as intelligent by suggesting they learn things without study/effort, esp. languages.

Portraying intelligence in general as a quality a person has where they produce a stream of instant epiphanies with no research/study/effort.

Portraying a character as a brilliant lone-wolf who is utterly obnoxious to colleagues but incredibly successful so nobody really minds that he’s abusive. (I’m pretty sure this character’s always a “he”.)

unrelatedly:
Loud, fiery explosions in outer space.

Lasers firing slow moving bolts and making pew-pew sounds.

23 Likes

Pretty sure that one’s based in real life. Well, “brilliant in their own mind” and “everybody minds but doesn’t say anything because they don’t want to lose their job”. but it’s close enough.

Yep.

12 Likes

Not sure about the lone wolf bit; however, a person who is abusive but gets a free pass because he’s brilliant/successful/connected happens all too often. Coaches, CEOs, even photographers. Yeah, and pretty much always men.

4 Likes

I used to play CO. Two gun mojo was obviously shooting sleep darts.

1 Like

Well, you’re fuckin awesome :smile:

FRIENDSHIP POINTS ARE AWARDED

2 Likes

It can also stunt your growth if you’re a boy reporter.

3 Likes

cf anything involving a transporter, youch!

This is why I still teach slide rule use to my students.

Hitchcock’s Torn Curtain has a scene in which a couple of amateurs try to kill a trained agent, including an attempt at strangulation, and it lasts for a very long time as they discover they killing someone by hand is hard. Oh, and while I love this movie it revolves around ideas which are completely implausible to anyone who knows how mathematical sciences work. (For example, one physicist tricks another into revealing the one term in a string of derivations that has kept western scientists from cracking a nuclear physics problem. But don’t let that stop you from watching this otherwise-excellent movie if you haven’t seen it.)

7 Likes

12 Likes

You have been wheyed, and found wanting (Stilton)

10 Likes

There is an entire genre of movies about people who are also wolves! I think it’s something to do with the psychology of atavism. Last one I saw was Wolfen, which had the amazing sight of Edward James Olmos prancing naked on a beach acting like a wolf.

6 Likes

Now I have to watch that… Just to say that I did.

5 Likes

And what about the damn sounds associated with text appearing on a screen one letter at a time? Shits me to tears. Even Moon was guilty of this.

6 Likes

Oh, but Moon was good. I really enjoyed it. Even though the whole cloning thing doesn’t make sense economically anyway, since they have a “rescue team” running around too.

5 Likes

Well, yeah, I thought everyone knew that. In fact, it’s fucking excellent.

…Everyone has seen it, right?

Maybe put some spoiler tags in your post.

4 Likes

Shit, sorry.

4 Likes

In medieval or faux-medieval (GoT) epics, everyone going into battle puts on their helmet and closes the visor. All but the hero, who charges in the front rank, bareheaded so that his (occasionally her) silken locks can flow in the breeze and all that noble emoting is visible.

17 Likes

Marvel be all like ‘he installed an inertial damping module’. This is what makes Marvel and DC so terrible these days: they rely constantly on arbitrary magic-technological deus ex machinas. Not to mention nothing is ever at stake in the plots and every issue is released in several ‘limited edition variant covers’ that retail at shops (on release day) for between $6-$200. Image, however, has been quietly releasing some of the finest comics ever made the last decade. Southern Bastards, Saga, Stray Bullets, Invincible, etc, the list goes on and on.

6 Likes

…that somehow still works when the suit is completely out of power (see: Iron Man, Avengers, Iron Man 3).

6 Likes