Sub-$1000 3D scanner on Kickstarter

[Permalink]

Iā€™m having a really hard time wrapping my head around that price. Unless the cameras are super-high-quality or thereā€™s some heavy-duty DSP doing on-device processing, Iā€™m not seeing even $100 worth of hardware here.

Yeah, I know - development costs - software.

Really, I think the Ubuntu Edge Indiegogo spoiled me.

2 Likes

Heck, the xbox kinect works just fine and is a lot cheaper plus it works with xbox games :slight_smile:

I keep seeing the future creep slowly into focusā€¦ When will i be able to scan my weird abstract wood carvings? What if they are 4 or 8 feet tall? When? Soon, I keep hoping.

Oh, hey! I met these guys back when they were doing the wound imaging. Very cool tech, and actually quite simple in principle. The devilā€™s in the details with these things. Glad to see theyā€™re still about.

1 Like

If you can do what you want to do with a kinect, great. If you want any sort of decent resolution, thatā€™s where this comes in.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not far off at all. In fact, if it werenā€™t for the fact that the Fuel3Dā€™s cameras have a fixed focal length, you could probably do exactly that.

You can DIY a 3D scanner yourself for about $50.

RE: XBox Kinect- AGREED. Iā€™m not seeing a huge jump in quality with this device. Anything that is photo-textured will obviously look cool. I need something with high resolution geometry, and I donā€™t think this is turning out anything better that what I can already do for significantly less cash.

This is far too expensive for what it offers. Within a couple years, weā€™ll have 3D scanning ā€œwandsā€ that we can wave all around an object to get a full 3D model. You can already do this with a kinect - though itā€™s not all that elegant. Using the same technology with better cameras and sensors, plus some accelerometers for positional reference, should not be all that difficult. For a grand, that is the sort of functionality they should be providing right now. Limiting the device to still ā€œimagesā€ and requiring a calibration placard are inexcusable limitations at this price point.

By the time we see an iphone 8 or 9, expect that sort of thing to be built-in. In the not too distant future, expect vector-based video to be the norm.

Hi All,
Firstly many thanks for your interest in Fuel3D. It is true that the Kinect system can be used to produce a low-cost 3D imaging system. We have included a side-by-side comparison of output between our system and kinect on our kickstarter page and I invite you to have a look. You can also download samples of our data here:

http://www.fuel-3d.com/portfolio/

If you would like to compare with Kinect based scanning, you could look at output from the KScan software:

http://www.kscan3d.com/gallery/

Best,

James Paterson CTO Fuel-3D

3 Likes

Thanks for all your comments, questions and support so far. For technical information, please see our new blog site: ttp://www.fuel-3d.com/blog/
Currently, it details the ā€˜Fuel3D and output resolution for 3D printingā€™. The blog will continue to be expanded upon so stay tuned for more updates: future blogs are soon to include stitching representations.

You can also check out our White Paper here: http://www.fuel-3d.com/product/technical-whitepaper/
Together with the Kickstarter video, this gives a good overview of what the Fuel3D is about, what it is capable of and also how it captures images for high-resolution surface detail.

Regards,

Charlie - Fuel3D

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.