Suggestion for improving the design of the Academy Awards cards

Or:

You Are: Name of Presenter

You are presenting: Best Picture

The winner is: Name of winner

Most likely, an incorrect card would be picked up in the first or second step.

5 Likes

And of course the higher-stakes version:

18 Likes

Ok. First. Yes he typography of the cards used is horrid. And I agree with the designers change. That being said “nervous”?!?

DAFUQ YOU SAY?! These are accredited Hollywood stars standing in front of an audience. Bullshit they are nervous. DRUNK is what they are. You can’t have acted as many times as some
Of them have and be a nervous public speaker. BULL SHIT.

Beatty was freaking drunk. And you’d have to be to screw it up.

3 Likes

He needs to have an earpiece with a person who is not drunk on the transmitting end.

Before anyone bothers to continue this conversation, can we all just ask ourselves if we really give a shit about this pack of trumped-up wankers?

4 Likes

More importantly, the backstage guy needs to be doing his goddamn job instead of taking selfies with celebrities.

1 Like

This seems like a nice time to care (or to pretend to care) about silly trivia, if you ask me.

Which you did.

I mean, which you didn’t.

4 Likes

Big.

I suggest big.

you could always just…

You know what ? Maybe write a real sentence :

The winner for Best actress is Emma stone in the movie “La la Land”

See ? Not that hard.

6 Likes

I dunno… I was pretty excited about a film about a black gay man living in a rough neighborhood during the crack epidemic beating out a white fantasy film about LA. But then again, I write about pop culture and think that it actually matters. YMMV, of course. I don’t expect everyone to share my interests.

11 Likes

The only reason anyone would vote for Buchanan is by mistake. Or, if they’re a crazy belligerent racist.

So you’re saying that instead of running a sweepstakes where the winning designer gets the honor of their design being used, I just budget in $50 or so?

3 Likes

If there was another mistake, it wouldn’t be as obvious as having “Best Actress” in big letters at the top of the card.

1 Like

I agree with the comments about font selection, font size, and contrasting color of text on paper, but don’t forget that there were at least 3 people who saw and/or handled the envelope: the PWC and the 2 presenters. Did any of them bother to look at the envelope and it’s contents, and read it all, before speaking? There wasn’t a whole lot of text to slow them down: the award and the recipient. Were all of them too vain to wear corrective lenses, either contacts or eyeglasses, when on stage or in front of a camera?

None of this is rocket surgery …

2 Likes

Any of these modifications really is fixing the ship after it’s left the dock. We shouldn’t be relying on presenters to notice errors in the card just as they’re about to read the card.

What’s inside the envelope is irrelevant. (Assuming for a moment PriceWaterhouseCoopers isn’t such a fuckup that they put the incorrect card into a marked envelope).

The OUTSIDE of the envelope should have, in huge high-contrast letters, BEST PICTURE, BEST ACTRESS, etc. It’s at that point Warren Beatty can say “Hey, I’m presenting Best Picture but this says Best Actress.”

3 Likes

Because it seemed to be the sort of thing that could well have been intentional, because there was a decided change in the participants in the ceremony this year, making it, in many eye, more representative of the industry as a whole - and some folks believe it was an intentional degrading slight hiding under the cover of an honest mistake.

Some of us would like to see such ‘honest mistakes’ not made in future, partly for the general sense of fair play involved, and partly to let both ‘sides’ of the debate on if it was intentional or not know that next time it will have to be even sneakier if it was at all intentional. I don’t want to debate if it was accidental or not, that would be a waste of time.

This is about engineering controls, to minimize human error, next time.

1 Like

Leave it to the MC, maybe. Not the presenters though. Those are actors, they’re in character.

1 Like

I agree that it’s pointless to debate whether or not it was intentional (I don’t believe it was), but I’d suggest that an intentional act would’ve likely been done with a less important category than best picture. My point is that this ’story’ is getting more air time than dramatically more important things happening in the world—like whether Kellyanne Conway sits on a couch properly.

oh okay, as long as you’re taking everything seriously.