Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

You remember how ignoring the Nazis was so successful at getting them to back down and give up?

Same reason.

16 Likes

I totally get that. But on the other hand, would Trmp have been elected without the megatons of (even negative) free publicity he got from the media?

Maybe, but that’s not the topic right now.

7 Likes

In hindsight there are probably several things the media could have done differently to stop Trump’s rise to power. But even if we had a do-over I don’t think refusing to report on his racism, misogyny, criminal activity and general buffoonery would be a wise or helpful approach.

14 Likes

If you’d like to continue this discussion, perhaps this would be the more appropriate venue

9 Likes

“…we shall ignore them on the beaches, we shall ignore them on the landing grounds, we shall ignore them in the fields and in the streets, we shall ignore them in the hills; we shall never acknowledge them…” —Winston Churchill, IIRC

15 Likes

That’s a Neville Chamberlain quote…

13 Likes

Wow. Within the space of a few seconds I had this “Oh, I forgot we had this thread here” quickly followed by “oh here we go again,” and then just as quickly, “ah, now I remember why it requires its own thread.”

7 Likes

It took about 4 years too long for Twitter to finally stop providing a platform for this wannabe dictator’s threats, lies, and ceaseless bullshit. Can I take issue with BoingBoing continuing to platform his (and a whole lot of the QOPs) fascist fantasizing? We can all chuckle in the comments, but we’re still giving this dumpster fire oxygen.

I refer you to…

*checks notes

…nearly every fucking post above yours in this thread.

12 Likes

And he disappeared when Twitter banned him. Like magic- he no longer had any negative effects on people.

13 Likes

I would argue the problem wasn’t volume but corporate media bothsidesism that contributed to his election. Instead of calling out the harm of his actions and wrongfullness of his bullshit, with receipts, they normalized it.

One thing you (and @turkahvesi) can count on from BB and the BBS is that there will be scorn heaped upon 45 and his enablers, and that there will be fact-checking included.

If you think Trump is posting here, by all means flag it and I’m sure admin will show him the door. THAT would be platforming him. But posting well-referenced takedowns of his bullshit is how we continue to drive him into impotent irrelevance.

16 Likes

Well that’s weird, my reply was moved from where it was posted to this thread I did not know existed and which in reviewing I think is applying a very broad brush to a thousand different issues. I’m referring to decontextualized political discourse; ironic that my response was stripped of its context and placed in this thread which isn’t political discourse but a kind of dumping ground for comments perceived by the curators to be saying the same thing (incorrectly, I believe)

Metallica covers band?

10 Likes

I am listening intently. Tell me more.

Please.

9 Likes

Your comment wasn’t stripped of its context. There’s a link to showing exactly which thread it was relocated here from.

12 Likes

Cover band for Limp Bizkit?

ETA: @Tamsin_Bailey - great minds and all :wink:

10 Likes

The name of 45’s sex tape.

*cringes

11 Likes

Ngapa Why Would You Do This To Me GIF

:grimacing:

13 Likes

mushrooms growing GIF

12 Likes