☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

That one is… more disturbing…

3 Likes

I still make ‘cross Harpo noise’ when I’m angry at things :smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Tired of that old, humdrum Cultural Marxist routine?

Try being an Ikea Anarchist and you’ll have a new lease on life.

Just ask Slavoj Žižek:

“There is an anarchist leftist group here in London who hate me,” says
Slavoj Žižek
with a giggle as we settle into a dilapidated leather sofa
in the bar of his Bloomsbury hotel. He is wearing freebie airline socks,
an Italian T-shirt someone gave him and jeans that could easily have
been made decades earlier in an unsuccessful Soviet tractor factory.
“But fuck it, let’s speak frankly, no bullshit, most of the left hates
me even though I am supposed to be one of the world’s leading communist
intellectuals.”

2 Likes

Sigh

There’s this whole Žižek vs. Chomsky thing that I have to figure out. Existential Comics referenced it yesterday, for instance. I’ve read a fair amount of Chomsky, and very little Žižek, so I feel like I’m familiar with Chomsky’s strengths and weaknesses, but not Žižek’s. It crosses my mind, though, that this starts to sound almost comically like a Hegelian triad. (Part of the comedy being that the triad is notoriously a gross oversimplification of dialectical reasoning.)

EDIT: I’d left “Z” as a placeholder for “Žižek”.

5 Likes

What do the Australian’s columnist Nick Cater, video game hate group #Gamergate, Norwegian mass shooter Anders Breivik and random blokes on YouTube have in common? Apart from anything else, they have all invoked the spectre of “cultural Marxism” to account for things they disapprove of – things like Islamic immigrant communities, feminism and, er, opposition leader Bill Shorten.

A good article uniting many topical themes from Comment is Free at The Guardian.

Oy, the persecutory beliefs. I think I’d laugh if I didn’t truly feel bad for people so bad at the scientific method.

3 Likes

If I can’t dance, it’s not my revolution!

BTW, I know that’s a mangled/mis-attrributed Emma Goldman quote.

2 Likes

I couldn’t believed “Social Justice Warriors” wasn’t mentioned here at all.

1 Like

3 Likes

This is a much longer thread than usual here. Insofar as we did discuss SJWs, it was much earlier. If you jumped here from that other thread, I meant to link to comment #161, where there are a few posts discussing SJWs as such.

1 Like

Because this is where we discuss what it means when progressives are called “Cultural Marxists.”

If you want to discuss what it means when progressives are called “Social Justice Warriors,” we have an app for that.

3 Likes

I checked it recently, about to reply with a definition from the urban dictionary.

1 Like

Urban Dictionary definitions are amusing, and a interesting starting point for research.

However

SCUM: Hammer debaters, not retailers.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth…

3 Likes

In fairness, he is really easy to hate.

1 Like

I like to think I said those words.

1 Like

But I’m the world’s leading communist intellectual!

2 Likes

Leaders are for people who don’t know what they’re doing!

2 Likes

I am the world’s leading communist intellectual, and so is my wife.

3 Likes