☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

Feel the Byrne!

5 Likes

Nadia dislikes Putin and thinks he and Trump share “a certain cruelty.” With Trump, she said, “It will be like Stalin’s times. But I think we need that in America right now. I think then we’ll at least have some sort of order.”

2 Likes

To me, the essential difference between capitalistic heroes and communistic collectives boils down to the ego-centric argument of genius individuals vs teamwork.

And if we know anything about our technological history, it’s that individuals always try to claim credit over teams, usually because they are financially incentiviezed to do so.

One of my guiding lights in life, apprapos to this thread, is Mr. Rogers.

look for the helpers

It’s that the just fucking best viral call-to-action that’s ever been said?

14 Likes

Hadn’t seen that, thank you. Beautiful!

6 Likes

Dr. Strangelove

PRESIDENT MUFFLEY: Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

MELISSA: But ladies, you can! I’m General Melissa Franks, and I run the section of the War Room for women. Let’s go around the table and introduce ourselves.

TAMMY: Tammy

JANE: Jane

PHYLISS: Phyllis

MELISSA: Good, now, let’s fight. But as we do, be sure to vocalize the reasons why you are fighting.

TAMMY/JANE/PHYLLIS: [Muffled yelling about a variety of topics such as weapons systems, and geopolitics—none of which are about a man.]

8 Likes

Hey! When did you get back? How’s the new one? Did you even miss us? I missed seeing that pink hat and reading those sage words.

(Sorry if I went OT.)

5 Likes

There is a heresiarch in the house:

4 Likes
2 Likes

10 Likes
4 Likes

too bad it’s not a pronoun

4 Likes

8 Likes

People tell me.

funruly, you are a marxist.

funruly, you are a constitutionalist.

And I’m like

3 Likes

meanwhile in oregon

Ryan Bundy Declares Himself An ‘Idiot’ Not Subject To US Courts

“I, ryan c, man, am an idiot of the ‘Legal Society’; and; am an idiot (layman, outsider) of the ‘Bar Association’; and; i am incompetent; and; am not required by any law to be competent,” Bundy wrote in a motion filed to U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown.

10 Likes

I agree with him. And fools seldom differ.

7 Likes

Of course, if governments were serious about having a cooperative and compliant populace, they could invite all people within their geography to explicitly apply for citizenship, rather than taking them for granted.

I think that nation states function more or less like “protection” rackets. I will help anybody secede from any country.

It takes stateless people to opt into the commune.

1 Like

I think the idea of understanding the present from history (I know I simplified that, and I think maybe it was Nietsche he got it from?) has been particularly fruitful in my life. Even as a numbskull, looking at history has illuminated more than a few mysteries for me. Also really like what Foucault said about criminal justice, as most of it really helped me process my experiences with that particular institution. These are the ideas and thinkers that resonate with me, the ones, as Alain De Botton says, ‘help us live better lives’. Or in my case, help me understand who I am and what my experiences and actions can tell me about my world.

3 Likes

Foucault was an awesome thinker for sure. He had an incredibly productive way of talking about power and how it operates and you can see that in his less opaque works like Discipline and Punish.

As a historian, I approve of this statement! We don’t just exist, we are part of many continuum, as individuals, as family members, as friends, as workers, as citizens, as sexual beings, as animals, as… whatever else we are. We are shaped by others and shape others. We are shaped by institutions and make them up. We live in a context and help make new ones. As Marx said (paraphrasing here) men make their own history, but not as they would like it… blah, blah, something about the past weighting as a nightmare on the living (whatever Brumaire thingie).

6 Likes

Be sure to read to the end.

[…] Hill seemed to be in no particular hurry to do anything, except lose at Ping-Pong.

While his serve is 90 percent unreturnable and his backhand is evil, Hill’s forehand is unreliable. Midway through Round 1 an employee popped his head in and asked for the score. “Fourteen to 20,” Hill replied. “She’s winning.”

The guy scoffed. “You’re losing to a girl?”

“That’s not a very feminist attitude, my friend,” Hill said.

“Does that make you mad?” he asked, after the employee left. “It’s not the dumb outlook that bothers me. It’s that he expects me to share that sentiment. He expects me to be like, ‘Yeah, I’m really embarrassed that a girl is beating me.’ ”

8 Likes

This is all about freedom of speech. How can my lawyer adequately represent me without addressing female lawyers as “honey”?

8 Likes