☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

Yes, for example. Lots of feminists invoked eugenics, in various ways…

It doesn’t completely diminish their work, as it was a key language of the time, and it meant a spectrum of things and was used in a variety of ways. For example, the father of modern anthropology, Frank boas was a proponent of eugenics thought, but had Zora Neale Hurston as a student:

2 Likes

Cultural Morxist spotted!

9 Likes

Did I miss something while I spent the day asleep?

2 Likes
2 Likes

10 Likes

12 Likes

On “Who Are the Brain Police?”

2 Likes

7 Likes

SPOILER ALERT (last paragraph summation):

“The Kingdom of Speech” is meant to be a provocation rather than a dissertation. The sound it makes is that of a lively mind having a very good time, and enjoying the scent of its own cold-brewed napalm in the morning.

1 Like

i haven’t read anything by wolfe since “bonfire of the vanities” and an essay in “harpers” on why realism is the only style of fiction that should be attended to. i thought both pieces were crap and i haven’t attended to him in nearly 30 years.

2 Likes

Spear-headed by Virginia Lee Mike Mulliga and his Steam-shovel Burton.

I really like her book illustrations (all I was familiar with before this article); if I was working on a grad degree in art I’d spend some significant effort tracking down all of her work and analysing it.

There are elements that remind me of the dynamism of the Italian futurists – I don’t know how widespread that sort of thing in other artists that are not considered futurists, much less book illustrations (or if there are other, more likely influences). Certainly her engagement with technology and the march of the future is at odds with futurism – she’s much more interrogative of technology with a stronger emotional engagment, in contrast to the futurists unabashed hyper-masculine embrace.

3 Likes
1 Like

That brutality and the economy
Are related now I understand
When will you realize that as above
So below there is no love

3 Likes

I hate it when people start phone conversations with “Yes…” when nobody asked them anything!

1 Like

Your operator doesn’t start off with: “Would you like to report a crime?”, or at bare minimum: “How may I help you?”

What decade do you live in?

4 Likes

Isn’t that a rather leading question? Perhaps I was calling simply to tell them what an excellent job they have been doing!

That is indeed a question, but it is open rather than a yes/no variety, so I would say that “Yes” is not a very helpful answer. When people are listening to the script in their heads instead of what is said to them, they could accidently be giving permission for terrible things!

Operator: Good morning, Police Department, can we spy on you?
Liberals: Yes, I’d like to report a crime.

or

Popobawa: Hi, can I feed your breakfast to the cat?
Liberals: Yes, I’d like to report a crime.
Popobawa: Breakfast that bad, is it?
Liberals: Um, hello?
Popobawa: Not to worry, Detective Nutkin will be by presently to sort it all out. I know I am mixing tenses here but then again we do pride ourselves in our efficiency, if I do say so myself.

This one:

2 Likes

I’m a little terrified by how you use the term liberal’s. Also, are there Eames chair’s in there? Love powers of ten, but couldn’t be arsed to go back and look for the products.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RA4MykPm4s

2 Likes