☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

When is the next party meeting? I’d hate to miss it.

7 Likes

See you at the next party meeting comrade!

7 Likes

Why do you want to join with those statists?

Join the anarchists. We will give the workers real control and we have tachankas.

9 Likes

Huh. So, the ur-technical then?

4 Likes

Makes the thesis defense much more interesting.

5 Likes

I wonder if I’d have leaned more towards one group or another if I actually knew more history of the time. One of the sections I mostly had to give neutral answers because it was really about political issues in Russia just pre-revolution not about policies that I could evaluate transtemporaneously. I can be against the private ownership of land now, but I don’t know enough about Dumas or the provisional government to judge them.

3 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

I’m not clicking that link, but I love that title.

9 Likes

Actually clicking the link got me to a really good joke (not quite made there, but credit to the thread).

Trump is a communist! He’s all about seizing the means of (re)production.

12 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes
9 Likes

something from the atlantic’s archives

But, as anyone who has studied Aristotle will know, “values” aren’t something you bump into from time to time during the course of a business career. All of business is about values, all of the time. Notwithstanding the ostentatious use of stopwatches, Taylor’s pig iron case was not a description of some aspect of physical reality—how many tons can a worker lift? It was a prescription—how many tons should a worker lift? The real issue at stake in Mayo’s telephone factory was not factual—how can we best establish a sense of teamwork? It was moral—how much of a worker’s sense of identity and well-being does a business have a right to harness for its purposes?

7 Likes

And I may note a recent post of my own:

2 Likes

None of them, never

2 Likes

Capitalism answers this question: however much the worker is willing to sell. That’s why caring professions are consistently paid less and treated worse.

People care about other people. Ordinarily, that caring is a social good that helps society. In capitalism the benefits of it are instead monetized by people who don’t care by paying lower wages because teachers and nurses and social workers keep their sense of purpose and humanity, making the job more attractive.

8 Likes

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/books/227396/was-nazi-germany-made-in-america

… Whitman shows that the Nuremberg Laws, instead of being a barbarous anomaly, were in part modeled on then-current American race law. The Nazi regime saw itself at the cutting edge of racial legislation, and America was their inspiration. “Nazi lawyers regarded America, not without reason, as the innovative world leader in the creation of racist law,” Whitman remarks. In the 1930s, the American South and Nazi Germany were the world’s most straightforwardly racist regimes, proud of the way they had deprived blacks and Jews, respectively, of their civil rights…

11 Likes

Indeed. I had not read that, but it looks interesting. Eugenics was a field of study that was generally developed in the US. I do think that these guys at least noted the origins of the nazis thinking on race laws:

Of course, it’s been a decade since I’ve read that, so maybe I’m misremembering.

3 Likes

I like the animation

4 Likes