☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

looked at an online excerpt from Whitman’s book, but from what I’ve seen, Burleigh and Wipperman isn’t cited. However, I’m judging from freely available excerpts and “look inside this book” . I may have to pay a visit to a library/ bookstore.

1 Like

It’s an older book (and was when I read it, like 8 or 9 years ago, maybe more), and it might just be out of date - it seems like it was already a few years old by then. I’m sure lots of literature has been written on eugenics in the nazi regime since then.

Either, way, Whitman’s book looks interesting.

2 Likes

BTW: ever read SJ Gould’s The Mismeasure of Man? It’s a history of IQ testing that is also, not coincidentally, a history of scientific racism. You’d probably find it interesting.

It also contains the clearest non-mathematician’s explanation of factor analysis ever written.

http://www.arkiv.certec.lth.se/kk/dokument/mismeasureofman.pdf

7 Likes

I have not. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

4 Likes

The appendix smashing The Bell Curve is only in the later editions, BTW. The pdf I linked above has it.

4 Likes

I’m surprised I haven’t read it yet. I will need to.

3 Likes

Apparently, the New York Times has a series of articles on communism in teh 20th century, since it’s the 100th anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution:

Tariq Ali’s article on Lenin was pretty good!

10 Likes

He’s not entirely wrong. If the girl had friends and was wielding a spear, the whole tableau might begin making a little bit of sense. After 30 years of being an unironic imitation of Dogs Playing Poker.

1 Like

I wonder if they also complained about Mr. Robot, where activists cut its balls off.

1 Like

He really won’t like my bronze sculpture of a trampled eagle being installed at the feet of the bull.

9 Likes

Works on so many levels.

2 Likes

Speaking of trampling:

10 Likes

I get the reference, but to me that image says “Help! Help! I’m being oppressed by Monty Python!”

5 Likes

8 Likes

Hmm. Thank you for the ten foot pole, but I’m still not going to touch it.

5 Likes

I’ve come to see Rachel Dolezal as a bit of a weird fantasist, tbh, but by far the most fascinating thing about this whole concept is the violence (and I don’t mean to claim that ‘words are violence’, I just mean the strength of feeling and compulsive urge to eradicate the concept wherever it arises) reaction against it.

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes