‘Super racist’ pool safety poster prompts Red Cross apology

The worst part is that once you see the way representation (or, of course, the lack thereof) works, you can’t stop seeing it. I’m Caucasian and usually present as male, so from that angle, I’m the default character in most media. Of course I’m also genderqueer and pansexual, so not so much there. Those of us who are under-represented can start grabbing at any little hint of representation just to see ourselves in the story, even if we end up being the villain.

I don’t just see it for me, though. This poster? Yeah, I can agree with the thought that’s been expressed that it’s not exactly ‘super racist,’ mostly because it’s just the standard that’s out there. How many shows are there where the only time you see non-white characters are as bad guys? (Again, it’s better than not being shown at all, but really …) I’ll say that representation, at least for ethnicity, has gotten a little better, but even some of the shows I strongly enjoy have the default white straight male main character with, at best, a diverse backup crew.

As far as I can see, this poster is just one more point of data where those with lighter skin, never mind arguing over what ‘race’ the characters are, is equated with being correct. But maybe representation just isn’t something everyone can process.

10 Likes