Supercut of hot typewriter action in TV and movies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/24/supercut-of-hot-typewriter-action-in-tv-and-movies.html

4 Likes

My local scrounger/handyman, a true looker / diver of the dumpster kind extraordinaire. He unearthed in perfect condition [not pictured below] a Royal from the 30’s, still in the original box too. He only wanted $50.00 for it, but I didn’t have the heart to take it, it must be worth more…

4 Likes

When I got in the zone I used to be able to make an IBM Selectric III sing and dance so fast my co-workers thought I was faking it. That machine was truly the Peak Typewriter, so well made you could put a sheet you’d already typed on it back in and everything would line up without any fiddling.
Also too: one of the glories of the futuristic/dystopian teevee series “Max Headroom” was that they used computer keyboards that came from old Royals or Underwoods. Can’t find a pic.

Also used to have one of these. A gorgeous little thing, won every imaginable design award, but a lousy typewriter because the keys jammed all the time. Olivetti Lettera 22.

7 Likes

Needs more Naked Lunch.

9 Likes

aww no clip from Brazil? (also pretty sure any version of The Front Page (1974 or 1931) would have some hot typewriter cuts)

4 Likes

I’m much more interested in the typewriters than the movies.
Remember the first season of Mad Men, when they used a Selectric II by mistake? The original Selectric was brand new at that setting time.

2 Likes

Yeah, should have been the curvy Selectric I’s I still have a symbol ball and the card showing what symbols are mapped to each key for typing mathematical equations.

1 Like

Well you see, if typing at a rate in excess of 90 wpm for more than twenty minutes in temperatures in excess of 95f, the action on the typewriter could become quite hot indeed.

Elementary.

Not a typewriter, but I was still disappointed to note the lack of any Linotype action. (as seen in the trailer for “The Paper.” Because THAT is the real “Hot Type.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.